Flint & Walling 12

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Mike Hage

Flint & Walling 12

Post by Mike Hage »

20210927_173938.jpg
20210927_173920.jpg
20210925_164216.jpg
20211002_094930.jpg
I picked this up yesterday its in really nice shape. I'm missing some parts tho. The vane arms and brackets, springs. The oil cup covers. And the wheel. Not sure what the swivel bearing looks like either. I can build a wheel if anyone has the measurements? Does anyone have any parts or info on these? I'd really like to do something with this one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Flint & Walling 12

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

20211003_114836.jpg
20211003_114819_HDR.jpg
20211003_114806.jpg
20211003_114730.jpg
i hope this helps.i have a 8ft wheel around here somewhere
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

Nice Find! I have never seen a Star other than a Zephyr in my country.
Mike Hage

Post by Mike Hage »

Thank you windcatcher. That does help. One thing I am confused about however is the number of sails per section. My hub has six sections. Most pictures I have seen have three/section the parts diagram has 4? I'm up in Canada so shipping a wheel would be pricey. I'm likely gonna have to make one. Some measurements would be appreciated if you had the time if it's not too much of a pain. Do you have any of the cast pieces I mentioned?
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Mike i should be able to get some pics and measurements this week.ill check on parts to.
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Mike I acquired one of these this spring. Bought it for the tower.
There was no sign of the wheel ,wheel arms and nothing relating to the vane.
I do have a couple of the large covers that are on the main shaft. You are most likely
missing the two small covers that are on the pumping mechanism and mine are missing
as well.
I live in Drumheller so if the covers will work should not cost that much to ship.
Have you by chance any Aermotor B602 parts? I need a vane frame and spring.
Joe
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Mike Hage wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:03 pm Thank you windcatcher. That does help. One thing I am confused about however is the number of sails per section. My hub has six sections. Most pictures I have seen have three/section the parts diagram has 4? I'm up in Canada so shipping a wheel would be pricey. I'm likely gonna have to make one. Some measurements would be appreciated if you had the time if it's not too much of a pain. Do you have any of the cast pieces I mentioned?
Star 12 is 6 section, 3 sails per, at least on the 8'.

When you say you are missing the brackets ... what are you referring to? Upper and lower tailbone brackets? If so, Dan B has (or had) some. Also check with him on large and small oil covers & the pitman oil covers.

Also what are you referring to when you say swivel bearing? On the end of pump rod? or something else? I think something else as it looks like the pump rod swivel is in the tower.

You are missing some linkage pieces, no biggie just 3/8" or 7/16" bar. There is also a casting that goes on the tailbone, And a cast connector that connects a couple of the linkages (looks like a connector for silo bands).

I can get you any pics or measurements you need, I have one nearly completed and another for parts. I may have some new cast pitman gears (haven't decided to sell or keep). Or Dan can cut some from steel.
Thanks,
Ed
Mike Hage

Post by Mike Hage »

The swivel bearing I'm referring to is the one the whole head turns on. I have the vane but no tailbone or brackets. Joe I'd sure buy those covers from you. I lost your number could you send it in a P.M? I haven't found an aermotor...yet, but I'm always looking for windmills I've got the bug for sure. My gears are in very nice shape. I'm missing half of the pump rod swivel. I'll get some pictures when it's daylight. One thing this mill has that is really cool is an original F & W self regator on the tower. Haven't figured out how it works yet. I'll post some pics of it as well. Thank you in advance you guys for pics and measurements much appreciated.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Mike -
The pipe on the bottom of the mill just drops in through the tower cap and then into the storm stay ... the bottom of the head just sits on the tower cap.

I will post up some pics in a day or two, have a day of grinding stumps tomorrow.
Thanks,
Ed
Mike Hage

Post by Mike Hage »

No bearing?