Anyone hauled a tower on a pontoon boat trailer?

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
hwy8

Anyone hauled a tower on a pontoon boat trailer?

Post by hwy8 »

I went out to measure what the owner said was a "three legged tower" and it was the first time I have seen a trussed tripod in person----it didn't take me long to fall in love with it and now it's mine to figure out how to get it home (a 60 mile trip).I figure that I can either take it apart or drive it home on some kind of rented truck or trailer. Any ideas?

I'll be taking it apart to straighten out the bends anyway but I'm thinking I'd like it to sit in my driveway while I "study it". I've never seen a parts list or a "build manual" for one like this: It would be easier if I had that to use as a blueprint. I can go after it with my electric wrench and a coffee can for nuts and bolts. A bunch of pics should help me put it back together after straightening some bent up stuff but I'm wondering if I could find a manual or copy of a blueprint.

I've also been thinking that I can rent a pontoon boat trailer for $40 a day. The tower is 30' and the trailer ad says it will take a 28 ft. pontoon. My Ram has a tow package with a heavy hitch and electric brakes. The previous owner will set it carefully on the trailer with his fork lift. I could find a pile of straps and red flags easy enough.

Anyone have some experience to share?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smax

Re: Anyone hauled a tower on a pontoon boat trailer?

Post by Smax »

Burt I made a headache rack on the front of my 16 ft trailer I can usually haul 30 ft or less towers by letting it overhang the end of the trailer by about 4 ft and the front usually goes up high enough to overhang above the truck bed
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

I forgot to measure the width of the foot of the tower so I'll have to do that before I dream too far ahead. A friend suggested a variation of your method: He and I talked about renting a trailer with sides and a front so the tower could be captured and not move side to side. The front could support the tower slightly above my truck box so there is clearance for movement during turns. I think the biggest trailer that is available here is a little less than 7' wide and the box is 12' long so it might not fit. I'm including photos of a four-place snowmobile trailer and a pontoon trailer. I picked up and moved a single car garage with the snowmobile trailer easy enough (the guy asked what I was going to haul with his trailer and I told him, "just a pile of wood"!!) I'm not sure how much the pontoon trailer raises but I might be able to get the height above my truck box with that feature:That trailer is listed for a 28' pontoon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Nice find! I really like those towers.

I believe either of the above trailers would work just fine. You'll have overhang at the rear of the snowmobile trailer, and on the sides and a little at the rear of the pontoon trailer, but just strap down real good and flag. I'd put the tower base at the front of the snowmobile trailer.
PaulV
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Dave Straub had a neat way to haul towers. He had a small boat trailer he strapped to the wide part of tower and put a hitch on front. the tower became the trailer.. He could move a tower of any length.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

I have a headache rack that is actually a homemade tire rack on the front of my 20’ car hauler and do what Smax does...let the tower hang over the bed of my truck resting on the tire rack. Have hauled a few 30’ or slightly less tall towers and 30’ red metal that way.

Had a chance to buy some 39’ - 3.5”x3.5”x1/4” galvanized angle sticks for cheap, but opted against it that way. I cut a few for easier hauling.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Hauled on 16ft trailer just fine, I think I took it apart in sections before. I should have added some leg support on the tower legs before hauling.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
JEG

Post by JEG »

30ft tower on a 28ft trailer would be my choice. Bring some 4x4 dunnage to lay across the trailer to put tower on and strap it down good.I would put the top up front and overhang as much as needed (you’ll be able to turn tighter)
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

2004-10-21LoadedForAnotherJob03.jpg
This is a 27 foot tower on a 16 Foot trailer. We also carry 33 foot towers on this same trailer.
tom b

Post by tom b »

I agree with headache rack. Easy to mount and allows multiple length towers to be split in half if necessary and
slipped into one another as in this picture. Good luck! Great find.