power mill

Need something? Post your request here.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: power mill

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Joe there's still quite a few of those old relics on farms here in NY I'll keep my eyes open for you.
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Thanks Dan. There probably are some around Canada as well. Now that I know its from a chev 30 to 40`s
can put out feelers on farming equipment website. My hopes have picked up a little.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Joe here's one other option.You can still buy 12 inch brake drums.find a F and W hub that once you weld the brake drum to is the right length. Then take the hub to a machine shop and have them taper and key it to your axle
Billt

Post by Billt »

Joe, after further review of your pics the rear end appears to me to be off a tractor. The rod for engaging the brake shoes is on the front external part of housing. So brake pedal would turn shaft to engage brake. That's how ford 8n and 9n tractors are. But no pto shaft out back as on most tractors. I am stumped now as to manufacturer of this housing.unless this is a housing made from just a bunch of parts that were accessable to builder. Bill
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Bill,looks like we are back to square one.I looked up 1930-40`s chevs on internet and came up empty.
I don`t think this came off a 9n or 2n. Everything on my 9n is one unit with PTO outlet. If you look at the axle housing you can see a saddle that would maybe support a frame.It was not added by the builder.
Who ever did this mill probably already had the rear end and a good machine shop to make the
brackets that bolted to the differential housing.There is various iron work that bolts to the tower legs
to support the drive which is a 10 foot by 1 and 3/8 inch steel rod.A couple of the guides have numbers
on them which coukld give an idea where they came from. Take photos Saturday and post.
By the time I get this thing up and running will be able to write a book.
More to come.
Joe
sandhillmills

Post by sandhillmills »

Joe, I have dabbled in windmills and antique cars for about 40 years. I am no expert, but I think the rear end housing is out of a 28-30 Chev truck. The brake setup is similar and the on those earlier axles, the axle shaft was keyed. Google photos oo those years housings and see what you find. Just my two cents worth, Ron