Fairbanks Morse Model 45- rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Wayne

Re: Fairbanks Morse Model 45- rebuild

Post by Wayne »

If you could have really got your wife in that basket going up with that head. All I can say she sounds like a keeper. I've been up in those things 40 ft in the air and the wind is calm on the ground and feels like it is blowing 20 MPH in the air. Scary!
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

Mike- No interest on any other windmills, but I do have plans for a water tower. My windmill tower is ~32 feet tall. I figure if I max out my water tower at ~25 feet I should be out of the wind, and it would give me about 10psi at ground level. I could still dump the overflow to the pond. I haven't decided whether to match the steel tower I have or built the water tower legs out of wood. I'm planning on a galvanized or poly tank, and then wrap it in old roofing tin or wood for looks. But before that I have to make this thing a pumper. So I'm not done with my windmill projects, just the windmill.

Although as I type this, if my uncle's windmill ever came available....
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

Wayne- the wind was gusting more than I'd like to admit. And then an hour after we got the head set, it got calm for about 4 hours. Should have just waited it out and it would be been fine. The way we did it was a little sketchy. You're right, those little lifts sway a ton, and it takes a little bit before I get my "sea-legs". With the fully assembled head underneath swaying back and forth in the breeze, it would have been quite the ride in that basket. But if anyone could have done it, I'd put money on my wife. She's about fearless, and a great equipment operator. I've not brought anything home over the years that she hasn't run. She's a keeper for sure.
Smax

Post by Smax »

Looks great good job
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Nice work. The towable man lift I have would be pretty sketchy putting a windmill head up with it. The one you rented looks to be a lot heavier built than mine.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Congratulations! Sounds like you have a good one.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

hedgerow- are you the one with the towable lift and the boom arm attachment? I've lost track of what thread I saw that on. This rental was well built, and brand spanking new- 1 hour on the meter when I picked it up, 2.5 hours when I took it back. So zero slop in any pins. It still swayed like a drunken sailor when I was trimming trees. And that was when it was calm, and I didn't have a giant pendulum swinging underneath it.
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Fljet No I don't have a boom arm attachment for mine. I don't feel mine is heavy enough duty for that kind of work. Its real handy around the farm for a lot of jobs.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Glad you got it completer, and it looks GREAT. That was quite the project, from start to finish. I'm really glad you were able to finish without me, I would hate to see someones project put on hold while I was busy taking a vacation in the hospital lol

I thought I might finish mine before you did yours, but I didn't have the 'heart' to do it. Literally.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

Windy- Welcome back! I've got a bone to pick with you though! You didn't tell me we were in a race. I might have finished a long time ago had I known it was a contest. :lol:

Glad you are feeling better. It's nice to see you online again.