Purple Heart wood

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
IvanBlock

Re: Purple Heart wood

Post by IvanBlock »

Joe I used to sell exotic woods at as a small part time business years ago. I've had and used Purple Heart but mostly for knife handles, belt buckles and such. Several years ago I needed material for wood pitman arms and still had a little Purple Heart left so I tried it. It worked well, its very hard, tight grain and should last a long time for shorter pieces like the pitman arms. As for longer pieces from experience I would say it might not work all that good. Problem is it splinters easily and slivers along the edges. Seems like it separates between the grain at times. The price is right but wanted to let you know of some short comings I've seen with it. A better choice of exotic type wood if you can find and buy it right would be Spanish Cedar...
windmillerman

Post by windmillerman »

in 1996 I bought clear white oak kiln dried for $1/ft, have a pile of white oak sawn air dried off farm that cost 15 cents/ft to saw.
I read that purple heart is considered to have spiritual uses, maybe a spiritual windmill?
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

I have changed my mind on the purple heart.Misquoted price of $10 its $14.95 plus 5% tax.
I bought some Sapele which looks like it will work.They use it in boat building and decks.The two boards I picked up
are 10 feet long 9 and 12 inches wide.There are no knots and the boards are absolutely straight and flat.
Trees grown up to 150 feet and 5 feet in diameter.
Price was $10.30 with tax per bf,Total was $180.00 .There is enough material to make two sets of rims.
arizonian

Post by arizonian »

It's not a windmill, but there is plenty of wind involved.

Purple heart has been used on the keel and bow of Tally Ho, the 1909 gaff cutter that Leo Goolsby is restoring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OklCO9sVOxY
Weldor by choice, engineer by necessity.

I believe in Gun Control.

Gun Control: The ability to hit what you are aiming at.