Starting the Journey

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Starting the Journey

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

If it is a 602 i can't tell from the picture on my phone. But if it's a early one there are no J or U bolts that hold the V spokes on. Also the pump rod screws into the yoke it's not held in by a pin.
20211230_200244.jpg
20211230_200134.jpg
20211230_200125.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Thank you Windy for keeping me under control .
I just wish my Aermotor looked that good when i got it .
Not that 2 year project i had to get it up and running .
But boy did I learn a lot , not much to be afread of anymore .
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
63markB

Post by 63markB »

What a great mill! Ron, how can you tell if it’s a D or E or F? I’m asking because I have my eye on a mill that I would like to buy but I can’t tell for sure what size it is. It does have the oilers platform, like this one but I knew that the three larger mills all had that.
bearhawg

Post by bearhawg »

Thanks everyone! I've found a tree company that has a cherry picker that can reach the top so here we go!
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

The J clamp worked on any non U bolt hub as well as open gear mills. Bryon found a part reference back as far as 1903 for it.

This was the prior discussion on it
viewtopic.php?p=6833&hilit=early+602+hub+clamps#p6833

Since that discussion, I have seen 2 other of the earliest D602 that had the J clamps. These were so early that the sail ribs had holes for the cast ribs even tho the they were sheet metal ribs. Both motors were flat bottom at the swivel, bottom oil drain and J clamps on the spokes. This D6022 has the J clamps but I dont see any extra holes in the sails.
Ron, how can you tell if it’s a D or E or F?
Mark
Only D, E and F had oiling platforms. D602 only has V spokes, E & F 602 are thread in but different than the 702 spoke. D, E and F 702 you have to go by the way the tail vane is built. If you only work on Aermotors and have seen a lot, they can be somewhat easy to recognize

Ron
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I wonder if he J bolts were only used on the bigger mills.between me and my brother we have five 8ft mills and none had J bolts