Make and model of this mill?

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
CTXmiller

Re: Make and model of this mill?

Post by CTXmiller »

Once those three bolts are loose, there is a retainer system (not sure of what it’s really called) that goes around the shaft in the mill...recalling it is behind the small gears. Loosen it up and the shaft should pull out. Doing this off memory.

Trying to find more pics from when I replaced the bearings last year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Mine is 8.5’, but I would suspect they are built the same. I figured mine is a Sear’s Champion and it too was originally green. Pics of the cone style bearings I pulled out last year.

Something I asked on the old message board is...does oil go inside the hub? Bearings packed with grease..yes and oil inside the gearbox...yes. No one could directly say yes on oil inside the hub to which I would concur as I saw no oil residue inside my hub during the rebuild.

Mine had two hub plugs of which I thought you said you had a crack on yours. Since it seems oil does not make it from the gearbox to the hub bearings, you might be good by plugging yours. Someone on here might give better advise.

Mine originally had the plugs wired (see pic)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Check out the literature library for Stover on this message board.
windybob

Post by windybob »

The brand was Stover. they were really big in the farm business. Around since the 1880's I think. The SAMSON was a brand of mills they had for a long time. i think this was maybe the last one, after that they were bought out by Woodmanse.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I'm just finishing up a Stover Model M. Every square -headed plug, or jambolt on this (and there are plenty) had holes in them and were wired.

I'm pretty sure once the bearings are packed (like an axle bearing on the front of a vehicle) you can also pack the hub. As it spins and warms up, the grease would work out to the bearings.

By the way, the literature said the M had "plain bearings". Actually, there were NO bearings. That explains whey everyone of these I have is locked up tight.

CTX, is that the correct color green? Did you find traces under a bolt or something?
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

The color I painted it with was just a random color of green I picked out which was close to the green I found under my pulley system.

I’ve attached a pic I pulled off the old message board with the color of green that fella used.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Thanks!
aaron1234q

Post by aaron1234q »

windybob wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:56 pm The brand was Stover. they were really big in the farm business. Around since the 1880's I think. The SAMSON was a brand of mills they had for a long time. i think this was maybe the last one, after that they were bought out by Woodmanse.
I didn’t know they were bought out by woodmanse. I have an old woodmanse direct drive windmill in a lot better shape than this one.
aaron1234q

Post by aaron1234q »

CTXmiller wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:45 pm Mine is 8.5’, but I would suspect they are built the same. I figured mine is a Sear’s Champion and it too was originally green. Pics of the cone style bearings I pulled out last year.

Something I asked on the old message board is...does oil go inside the hub? Bearings packed with grease..yes and oil inside the gearbox...yes. No one could directly say yes on oil inside the hub to which I would concur as I saw no oil residue inside my hub during the rebuild.

Mine had two hub plugs of which I thought you said you had a crack on yours. Since it seems oil does not make it from the gearbox to the hub bearings, you might be good by plugging yours. Someone on here might give better advise.

Mine originally had the plugs wired (see pic)
The spindle on mine is being one heck of a pain to take out. Seems to be stuck where it goes into the little gears. Also, I’ll attach a pic of the crack mine has.
81FEBDDE-7D1E-46C2-9612-7E5967A90015.jpeg
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

I recall there being a set screw of some sort on this. I had the brake system fully disassembled too and any square bolt that could possibly get in the way of the shaft loose too.