Make and model of this mill?

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
PaulV
Site Admin

Re: Make and model of this mill?

Post by PaulV »

The shaft has a retaining collar on the end of it. The collar is held in place by a set screw. Once the collar is loose, the shaft will slide out.

IMG_8194.JPG
IMG_8195.JPG
IMG_8196.JPG
Case data plate.
20170716_162228.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulV
aaron1234q

Post by aaron1234q »

CTXmiller wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:50 pm I recall there being a set screw of some sort on this. I had the brake system fully disassembled too and any square bolt that could possibly get in the way of the shaft loose too.
I have the set screw loosened in the collar but when I yank on the nose the small gears just knock against their bracket. I have the brake off but not too much else.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
aaron1234q

Post by aaron1234q »

PaulV wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:57 pm The shaft has a retaining collar on the end of it. The collar is held in place by a set screw. Once the collar is loose, the shaft will slide out.

IMG_8194.JPG
IMG_8195.JPG
IMG_8196.JPG
Case data plate.
20170716_162228.jpg
I have the collar loose but it seems to be stuck in the little gears
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Was there water setting in the gearbox so as the small gears could be rusted to the shaft? Someone on here had a good mixture they used to loosen up rusted up items.
aaron1234q

Post by aaron1234q »

CTXmiller wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:20 pm Was there water setting in the gearbox so as the small gears could be rusted to the shaft? Someone on here had a good mixture they used to loosen up rusted up items.
There was no water and everything still had a thin layer of oil on it. I’ve taken a hammer and punch to the gears after wedging the nose cap up and I don’t think I’ve gotten it to budge
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I often see the old style style sheet iron with the small rolls at Canton. Tried to by some once to make a vane but couldn't find owner.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Wish I could help more, but I have not had one of these apart. The closest I was to one was a hundred yards, and the guy would not part with it no matter what I offered. However it looks to be not a lot different than Samson in general. I have no idea what kind of bearings are in the box, if any. In my Model M, the shaft was so stuck in the pinions, I had to cut it in 4 places to get it apart, then a new mainshaft was installed. Large gears were also rusted in place, so I cut that shaft also. With steel on cast, any moisture in the case is deadly.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Same here...wish I could help more. I’ve attached a few more photos.
aaron1234q

Post by aaron1234q »

CTXmiller wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:44 pm Same here...wish I could help more. I’ve attached a few more photos.
The name plate on mine is unreadable too but looks nearly identical
aaron1234q

Post by aaron1234q »

windybob wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:02 am Wish I could help more, but I have not had one of these apart. The closest I was to one was a hundred yards, and the guy would not part with it no matter what I offered. However it looks to be not a lot different than Samson in general. I have no idea what kind of bearings are in the box, if any. In my Model M, the shaft was so stuck in the pinions, I had to cut it in 4 places to get it apart, then a new mainshaft was installed. Large gears were also rusted in place, so I cut that shaft also. With steel on cast, any moisture in the case is deadly.
What did you use as a replacement shaft?