Standing up a windmill

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
JBarker

Re: Standing up a windmill

Post by JBarker »

billcobb wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:10 pm Raising it with a tractor or a boat winch is easily doable. There are a few videos on YouTube showing people doing it. The trick/secret is actually the restraint cable/rope on the opposite side of the pull. You also need to brace the legs if there are no side rails at the bottom so they don't collapse when all the side load is on them (at about 45 degrees of tilt).

The best advise I can give you is to make a scale drawing on a large sheet of paper. You need to know the head-end weight and 1/2 the tower weight (the combined weight of the top end). Then you need to have LONG beams joined at one end and ends splayed out for stability that won't buckle and 2 LONG ropes/cables: 1 to pull with and 1 to restrain the last 10 degrees or so of tilt. From the scale drawing, you can use the geometry of your rig to figure the rope lengths required, the pulling force needed (I recommend using reverse gear so you can watch the lift and its usually a very low speed gearing), rear weight box on the tractor to prevent skidding and a trusted person on the restraint line (fastened to the front of a car or truck.

The length of the lift beam is a factor in the pull force while the initial side view angle of the beam is too. But, its a good science project !

Sure the Skytrak or crane is a wonderful thing, but somebody needs to go up there to detach the hook, positioning it so you get the boom in the right position when raised, and a possible lift weight limit,20190428_152541.jpg adds some unanticipated complexity. I use a trailerable JLG boom lift with a jib crane arm to get the tower up and fastened, pick up the mill with fan and tail attached, and then put the bucket back on to complete the installation, pose for pictures and maybe play aerial fireman to see how far out a stream I can achieve when draining my lizard !
Bill,

Lol, that last part was funny. U have better pics of ur jib arm? Also, how easy is it to detach the bucket on that lift?
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Thanks for NOT posting pictures of that last part!
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

The bucket is very easy to detach. 1/4 turn on the bucket cable control receptacle and then pull the cross pin. The bucket is all aluminum so it only weighs 30 - 40 lbs. All I do is drop it to the ground by extending the main boom out all the way. JLG does make a jib HOOK attachment but I wanted the extra outreach and lift height capability. . I copied their interface from the manual and made my own jib just for windmill raising, so it's more than just a hook. I can use the bucket tilt feature to slowly raise/lower my load as needed. I could not believe how easy it was to drop an A602 right on top of the tower pin using the ground controls and a lot of small maneuvers. I was planning on a few hours to get it done and maybe even a few trips up the ladder to position the assembly, but it was all over in less than 5 minutes.

As far as the fireman streaming exercise, when you are all finished with prostate cancer surgery, you may (as I do) appreciate the ready, aim and fire capabilities than you reacquire. I was a lucky one. Many survive, but their diaper bill is not tax deductible. I'm now 4 years out and 'cured', they say.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

billcobb wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:18 pm The bucket is very easy to detach. 1/4 turn on the bucket cable control receptacle and then pull the cross pin. The bucket is all aluminum so it only weighs 30 - 40 lbs. All I do is drop it to the ground by extending the main boom out all the way. JLG does make a jib HOOK attachment but I wanted the extra outreach and lift height capability. . I copied their interface from the manual and made my own jib just for windmill raising, so it's more than just a hook. I can use the bucket tilt feature to slowly raise/lower my load as needed. I could not believe how easy it was to drop an A602 right on top of the tower pin using the ground controls and a lot of small maneuvers. I was planning on a few hours to get it done and maybe even a few trips up the ladder to position the assembly, but it was all over in less than 5 minutes.

As far as the fireman streaming exercise, when you are all finished with prostate cancer surgery, you may (as I do) appreciate the ready, aim and fire capabilities than you reacquire. I was a lucky one. Many survive, but their diaper bill is not tax deductible. I'm now 4 years out and 'cured', they say.
Bill,

Thanks for the info, I like using the JLG lift also. I would love to make a jib like ur's if you care to share how I go about it. Thanks.

Jerry
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

Here's the JLG hook part (from the manual). All I did was copy the bucket interface. So, a cross rod (1-1/4" ??) some scrap steel plate, and some square tube used for Class II trailer hitch female receptacle. I made it 2 pieces because I can then use the jib beam (Jim Beam ??) on my front loader bucket when I need something similar. The only hassle I had was drilling the holes in the side plates for the cross rod. I cheated and used a fire wrench to get the job done. I hid the damage with a mig welder.

My JLG is battery electric, so that makes it even easier to work with the windmills. If someone is on the platform, you can communicate more easily. I can send you more pics if you need to see some detail.
JLG_Hook.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

billcobb wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:26 pm Here's the JLG hook part (from the manual). All I did was copy the bucket interface. So, a cross rod (1-1/4" ??) some scrap steel plate, and some square tube used for Class II trailer hitch female receptacle. I made it 2 pieces because I can then use the jib beam (Jim Beam ??) on my front loader bucket when I need something similar. The only hassle I had was drilling the holes in the side plates for the cross rod. I cheated and used a fire wrench to get the job done. I hid the damage with a mig welder.

My JLG is battery electric, so that makes it even easier to work with the windmills. If someone is on the platform, you can communicate more easily. I can send you more pics if you need to see some detail.JLG_Hook.JPG
Please send more detail pics if u can. Thanks for the info. I like the elec lift too. Plus it has power plug on side of bucket arm.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Missourimiller wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:31 pm What’s your all’s take on how big of A completely assembled windmill can be pulled up using a cable over a gin pole. I’ve got a 12’ that will be on a 3 post tower I plan to put up within the next year just seeing if I’d need to rent a skytrac or if it’s doable with our tractors and cables.
pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

I'd cut the grass first, though. I tend to drop stuff from up on top and it's a problem finding a 9/16 box wrench or that special socket for square nuts, once it hits the ground.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

That is an interesting winch wagon. First thought it was a repurposed cable tool rig but there is no spudding beam. My guess that pulley 2/3 way up the main mast is for raising the mast. From a visual perspective it doesnt look that heavy or heavy enough to comfortably offset the windmill weight. Maybe it is anchored down somehow? Main mast almost appears to go in to the ground.

There is an already installed windmill just to the right of the 2 guys on the tower. Think wooden wheeled also.

If they only would have spent more money to get a 12 megapixel camera, it would have made show and tell easier

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Great Picture.