Samson

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
windybob

Re: Samson

Post by windybob »

Biggest issue I have with that is the price tag. Is it really worth that much?
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Paul,
Have you talked to the seller about any equipment they may have that would help with the lift? I heard through another source (not confirmed) that the seller had a water well service company. If true, you may be able to negotiate some lifting/loading assistance in the deal.
Just a thought.

Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

You know what They say about the price it's what both parties can agree on. I always pick something I can be comfortable with and go from there. Never bought a big mill so have no real clue as to the value. Seems to me it being so big narrows considerably the number of customers. Kinda like the gas engine business some people wouldn't touch a big one to heavy to move around.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

I've had a chance to talk with the seller. One of the first things we discussed was how it arrived at the current location, and whether equipment was available to lift. The seller no longer has access to the equipment. Will be making the trip soon to see the mill first hand. I too have no clue as to real value. Too many things factor in, including emotion.

Here's the full set of pictures.

20190630_195941.jpg
20190630_195954.jpg
20190630_200009.jpg
20190630_195913.jpg
20190630_200027.jpg
20190630_200038.jpg
20190630_200051.jpg
20190630_200109.jpg
20190630_200124.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulV
kozzy

Post by kozzy »

One place you should definitely check is shown in the attached photo. The upper tailbone consists of 2 angles back to back with a flat bar that is a bit thin riveted to the wide side of that assembly. This bar was heavily rusted out on ours and is so thin (1/8") that it didn't take much corrosion to turn it into swiss cheese. Freeze-thaw plus blown in dirt also turned it into a wavy roller coaster. Because it was riveted, the repair isn't a half hour job. We're remaking the whole piece from scratch and using heavier material anyway to meet our needs

Windmill pic for comment.jpg
And just for fun, here's the hub and main shaft to get a size reference. This is an open gear model a bit older than the one in question. Shaft diameter is 3".

Windmill shaft.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

My 14 footer is like that. Rust is a problem. I also have another hub because tabs on mine are broke.
kozzy

Post by kozzy »

Heh..I'm lucky that I still have tabs. Just moved the hub/shaft into the shop with the forklift and because the markings on the controls are worn, plus brain fart, I tilted the mast forward instead of lowering the forks. The shaft started rolling toward the front of the forks and I barely caught the problem and back tilted before it went flying off onto the concrete.

Time to change my underwear.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Send me some of that luck. Clutch went out on my last pickup. 5 out of 5 now broke down. Don't really feel like fixing things when it's 106 outside.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I agree Windy I wilt like a daisy when I'm in the direct sun. No hat is big enough! I look at the temp it says 93 but feels like 102! Convinces me its too hot to go outside so I set in my chair and watch cars go by.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Headed down this weekend to inspect the mill. Will let everyone know what I find.
PaulV