Totally ignorant and could use some help

Well and cistern setup, repair, components (pumps, etc.), etc.
kozzy

Totally ignorant and could use some help

Post by kozzy »

Out of the blue today a "friend of a friend" suddenly started asking about replacement pump leathers. His daughter is moving back to the old homestead which is serviced by what he says is a Dempster 8' filling a cistern. It worked fine a few years ago and theoretically still works except the pump needing some care. This is the only water source available on the place.

What I could use help on is directing him to a source to buy replacement leathers or other parts that might apply to a pump repair. Online source that might have a bit more available in terms of "information" or diagrams would be great if there is such a place--simply a parts source to send him to is enough to get him rolling.

I know nothing about his current system and have only a couple of poor photos he shot across via my friend. As far as I know, he's only needing to do actual pump repairs.

Photo of the pump end:
IMG_1097.JPG
A general photo of the windmill in case that gives any clues to the pump because they may have come as a "package":
IMG_1099.JPG
Thanks for any info you can pass along. As I said, I'm totally ignorant on this and have very little information other than what you see here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dave Straub

Re: Totally ignorant and could use some help

Post by Dave Straub »

Very interesting looking cylinder with guide rods and above ground. Haven't seen that before. Yes the leathers need to be real good to provide the suction if the water level is below the cylinder. The cylinder needs to be removed and taken apart and leathers removed to determine the correct replacement. You might take photos of the leathers and measurements and some one will help you.
windybob

Post by windybob »

First thing I would need to know is where is the cylinder, and what size is it. Then determine where the water is in the well, and maybe even gauge the well, or pump it if possible.

We have several customers with sand point wells. The cylinder is always doing double-duty by sucking water up, and pushing water out at the same time. Yes, leathers must be good, or priming is needed to get a vacuum. Hopefully, the lower check in the cylinder is good, and it holds water around the leathers so priming is not needed.

If you get things taken apart, write back and we can see what's up. ( or down ). lol
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
kozzy

Post by kozzy »

Thanks for the comments. I'm just a third party here and someone who knows the guy trying to get it going asked me for a suggestion on where to search leathers (knowing I can contact actual experienced windmill people :-) )..and maybe more information if needed. Was hoping for some website where he might find pump leathers in general or possibly be able to better chase down repair information. Just wanted to shoot a link to the guy and let him take it from there.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

I know of very few internet resources for these parts. Try

https://www.deanbennettsupply.com

They are part of Denver Winpump now.

There are more suppliers, most don't have much of an internet presence.
PaulV
kozzy

Post by kozzy »

Thanks, Paul. Exactly the kind of thing I needed.
windybob

Post by windybob »

There must be 25 different sized leathers. Tell 2nd party that 4th party has a store up the road with several popular sizes of leathers. Tell 2nd party to have (self) or 1st party figure what size leathers are needed, then 4th party can send them to 3rd party, which can send them on to 2nd party to fix well for 1st party.

Wow, what a party.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

:shock: that was a bit windy.
PaulV
windybob

Post by windybob »

;)
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

windybob wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:24 pm There must be 25 different sized leathers. Tell 2nd party that 4th party has a store up the road with several popular sizes of leathers. Tell 2nd party to have (self) or 1st party figure what size leathers are needed, then 4th party can send them to 3rd party, which can send them on to 2nd party to fix well for 1st party.

Wow, what a party.
I just want to know, which party is serving beer?
Thanks,
Ed