Drain plug problem

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
JBarker

Drain plug problem

Post by JBarker »

Any suggestions on getting this gear case drain plug unscrewed on A702? The edges have been rounded off before I got it. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
windybob

Re: Drain plug problem

Post by windybob »

Heat the case around it, or drill it and chip it out a piece at a time. Pipe wrench can be helpful too.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

A little heat and a pair of vise grips or weld a nut to the plug should get it out. I never understand when plugs start to get worn why people don't replace them. I have removed a lot of plugs over the years that look like that one.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Thanks Hedgerow, finally came out it was a tough one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Glad it worked out. Worked at a factory the last 15 years of my working in town live before I finally came home to the farm. Did a lot of P.M.'s in areas I normally didn't work and when I first started there a lot of gear box plugs looked like that too many monkey wrenches around there and people that didn't care. Over time a old guy I worked with on these P.M.'s and myself switch every thing over to a allen based plugs so when the oil needed change every six months it was not a problem. Most of this equipment ran 24/7 only shut down for P.M.
When we would have these shut downs we would work 16 hour days 7 days a week so the last thing you needed was to mess with rounded off plugs.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

You were smart! See a problem take the time to fix it. My motto is always look for ways to make your job easier!
spring hill bill

Post by spring hill bill »

The operators in the chemical plant where I spent thirty plus years all carried the dreaded channel lock pliers, which they used for EVERYTHING. I've seen a truckload of rounded off plugs caused by using an inappropriate tool. Taking the time to get and use the right tool pays off in the long run. Glad you got it out.