Elgin Model R

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Jim Corcoran

Re: Elgin Model R

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Steve,
Any chance you have a 2 piece brake drum for a Wonder B to look at? If so, would you see if you think the mounting hole pattern would match the hub on a model R. They look compatible in the literature I have, but without a one to one comparison there's no way to be sure. If the B part fits, that may give me an alternative fix. Any how, just a thought.

Thanks once again.
Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
Smax

Post by Smax »

Jim don't have a wonder b but do have a model r brake drum that appears to be good will have to see if I can get it off Image
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smax

Post by Smax »

Don't have a brake band but as windy Bob said you can prob make one
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Steve,
I'll take them both. Just let me know what I owe you and I'll get a check in the mail to you.

Thanks,
Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
Smax

Post by Smax »

Don't owe anything. Several members have helped me in the past when I needed parts. I will start soaking the parts today the brake hub may take some doing to get it loose . When I get them ready i will notify you . If you are in the southern ok area give me a holler
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Steve,
I won't be in the Oklahoma area anytime soon. But if you wouldn't mind shipping the parts to me, I will send you enough cash to cover the packaging and shipping, plus enough for a cold adult beverage or two of your choice.

Jim
Smax

Post by Smax »

Got the governor rocker arm off . Going to have to cut the main shaft to get the brake hub off. Gears were toast any way . Haven't figured out any other way to get the main shaft off . It turns and everything don't know much about Elgin model r .Will pm you for address to ship the parts to as soon as I get the brake hub off the wheel hub. Steve
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Steve,
I suspect you know this already (but I wouldn't have if Jimmie Lee hadn't told me) the hub is threaded onto the main shaft and the big nut in the case at the rear end of the shaft has left hand threads.
Jim
Smax

Post by Smax »

Yea that nut is the problem can t get it to move going to try heat next.
Smax

Post by Smax »

Jim sent you pm