Another Dempster 12 Project

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
HuskerRon

Another Dempster 12 Project

Post by HuskerRon »

So I got my Dempster taken down in Nebraska and hauled home to Colorado last week and have a couple of questions before I order any parts. The vane says 8' 12A, the bottom of the motor casting says 8' 12. I really don't know what the real differences are. However, someone told me that most of the parts are NOT interchangeable between the 12 and 12A. I thought it might be possible that the motor casting just said No. 12 for both, no real changes for it but I just don't know.
Everything appears to be in amazing shape, the only thing that is broken is the vane tension spring. That appears to be the same for the 12 and 12A. The pipe stem has a lot of wear at the top where it contacts the ball race assembly so I thought the safest thing to do would be to replace it as well as the bearings which I was surprised to see what was currently in there. There is about a 1/2" long steel cylinder between each bearing, looks like one or two are missing. Any special bearing set that I need? Or special pipe stem? Or are these the same for the 12 and 12A?
That is all I plan on replacing right now unless someone tells me something different. I also do not plan on reinstalling the pump rod which I don't see any reason why that would matter.
Also the pipe stem does not have a slot for the pullout bar like I see in all the documentation. Thanks in advance on any help with my questions.
Smax

Re: Another Dempster 12 Project

Post by Smax »

Def replace the mast. The 12a has a taller hood. The diameter of the mast (pipe stem ) are different i believe .post a photo and we can id which one you have.
HuskerRon

Post by HuskerRon »

The pipe mast diameter is 1-7/8" OD and the pipe mast clamp is stamped 01327. The guy at windmill-parts on ebay says his #12 pipe mast is 2" OD but also sells a bushing to make your own mast pipe saying is is for the 2-3/8" OD pipe for the 8ft #12A or 10ft #12. I found a post by Dave Straub that says "(The 8' No 12 has a 1-1/2" mast pipe and the 8' 12A has a 2")". Needless to say, I don't know what to think.
I will get pictures later today.
windybob

Post by windybob »

The #12 AND #12-A are DIFFERENT. Hardly anything changes over. Wheel and tail (i think) are switchable. MUCH taller hood on 12-A. 2 inch pipe on 12-A. Bullgears are changeable stroke. Turntable is larger. Either 5/8 or 3/4 balls, no spacers in a Dempster turntable. DAve is right. 1 1/2 inch pipe for regular #12. And there should be a slotted bushing in the end of the neckpipe for a pullout tube. Also pumprod is larger diameter. Yes you should run a pumprod because it keeps the yoke straight. Also the threaded end plugs the hole that will leak if you don't run it. You can make a bushing for the pipe if you have the pullout tube so you can get it right. No problem, just make sure it lines up with the hole in the top for the pipe clamp. The slot in the end of the pipe should line up with the pulley under the head.
If you deal with Neal on ebay, you will deal with him ONCE. After that he will chew your butt out, and refuse to give you anything. If you are lucky he WON't cuss you out. Ask anyone. They will all say the same.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

If you deal with Neal on ebay, you will deal with him ONCE. After that he will chew your butt out, and refuse to give you anything. If you are lucky he WON't cuss you out. Ask anyone. They will all say the same.

Amen windybob. I too have had dealings with him. I am band from buying anything on his ebay listings.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
HuskerRon

Post by HuskerRon »

So here are more pictures. Hopefully someone can finally tell me if it is a 12 or 12A. Also if I should not buy parts from the guy on ebay, where should I go about finding them?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HuskerRon

Post by HuskerRon »

More pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
HuskerRon

Post by HuskerRon »

More pics
windybob

Post by windybob »

That's a regular #12. More in a while....
windybob

Post by windybob »

Okay. Remember I did not say don't buy from the guy on ebay. I just said what would probably happen if you do. Your call.

Dempster made a #12 starting in 1922. After several improvements, yours is the last rendition. The 12-A is a different animal. Will post pictures of 8 ft helmets if i don't forget after this post. They did also come out with a #12-B. I think in the 80's for a few years. These are "regular' #12 mills with a few minor improvements. Most things changeover from a #12 to a 12-B. no biggie.

Yours is a single-stroke mill, about 7 inch. Not adjustable. Your neckpipe is 1 1/2 pipe. Dempster used sch 60 pipe instead of common sch 40, so OD will reflect that. Not a problem, switch if you wish. You can run a bead weld around the worn are, and grind it. The hole in the upper part should accomodate a nib on the clamp that holds it. If there is none, weld one on. I needs to be there. Then there should be a bushing in the end of the pipe for a pullout tube. No picture of the bottom end.

The turn table cup and lid are tempered cast, Very hard! Take a grinder with a cut off disc, and cut off 1/8 or 3/16 or so from both edges on the cup, inner edge, and outer edge. Don't worry about the cap part. Then you can use 5/8 balls, (no spacers) like it supposed to have. 12 or 13 of them. See, the cup wears, so if you replace the balls, it might still not work. Taking off a little will fix it right up.

On your brake linkage ( bottom picture) Take the square nut on the adjuster, and heat it then remove it. Weld it or braze it to that little flat plate it's next to. It supposed to be. That makes it easier to adjust the brake later. You might chase the threads and grease them also. If the tailpin is worn, you can flip it upside down, or weld it up.

That #510 part is NOT Dempster, but that's ok. Makes a good place for the turntable to sit on.

If you need to dissasemble the entire head, and rebuild it, let me know. They are a bit more difficult than most mills, but not impossible. I do dozens every year.