V-47 Vestas Wind Turbine

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Star Zephyr

V-47 Vestas Wind Turbine

Post by Star Zephyr »

Not everyday for me is about working on windmills. Today was about climbing up to the top of the Vestas and helping with students. Once a semester the Tech Wind Engineering Dept sends out their students to climb our tower. It is actually part of their curriculum that they have to do this or at least attempt to do it. If they don't then I believe they don't pass the class. What surprises me the most about these students is that they can't handle it. Now I'm not saying that they don't make it up there, but they physically just can't do it. They get up to the top and just about collapse on the upper platform before actually making it into the nacel. Then when they finally get up inside and see this old fat guy helping them up they kind of suck it up. Kind of funny really. Well anyway here's a few pictures of the inside and from standing up on top looking down on the windmills down below.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Star Zephyr

Re: V-47 Vestas Wind Turbine

Post by Star Zephyr »

second set of pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Star Zephyr

Post by Star Zephyr »

third set of pictures
Star Zephyr

Post by Star Zephyr »

Fourth and last set of pictures
windybob

Post by windybob »

Wow. How interesting. A lot to see around there!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Great pictures! Thanks for posting Eddie!
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Awesome. Lucky students. I'd love to climb up in one of those and look around!

Great pics thank you for sharing :)
PaulV
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Very nice.
Thanks,
Ed
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

So curious minds need to know, is the rotation of the head controlled electronically since there is no vane? And does the blades or the turbine body face the wind? I think it would be really cool to have a Vestas vaneless with a V windmill weight...

I have never been accused of being fat but know the feeling of waiting at the top. Recently I climbed the 20,600' Ecuador high point, Chimborazo. I was the oldest by more than 15 years and the fastest. Not sure how many more ceilings I want to break but have thoughts for Denali and Aconcagua. These will be best left for retirement as these are expedition style peaks some times taking 2 to 3 weeks.

So do you lock the ground level access door to the tower? Or do I have to be a student?

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

At one time I thought there were classes you could take and make the climb. I'd have to pack a lunch and still pretty sure I couldn't do it.