Help ID a vaneless windmill

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
Wind Charger Mike

Help ID a vaneless windmill

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

I was visiting a wind gen friend today and amongst the 100 or so wind generators he had one water pumper. Any thoughts on the manufacturer? Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pcowley (RIP)

Re: Help ID a vaneless windmill

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

Several mills had the large turntable, but looking the best I can see the snout seems to have all the linkage of the original Raymond. I am probably wrong on the maker.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
rocar-ks

Post by rocar-ks »

Looks like it might be Duplex
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

It could very well be a DUPLX after closer examination . i was going by the size of the turntable and it looked to small for a DUPLEX.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
Wind Charger Mike

Thanks for the input. If it is a Diplex, did it have a counter weight other than the governor weight I see? If so what shape would it have been? Thanks
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

What you see is what it had. It is a Duplex. There would have been a round ball counter weight stuck out the back for balance. It had unique arms. Tublar-steel-pipe arms. with a cast head on one for the sections to fit into. If that's all they have there are lots of stuff missing!
Wind Charger Mike

Thanks Wayne, I was on the road all last week and without my Baker windmill bible. I suppose it could be an early model that didn’t have the counterweight or it could just be missing. I’ll look at closer next time.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I don't think Duplex built a tail-less like Pipe Raymond. All The pictures I have seen have the counter weight. I have a book that instructs you to put 34 lbs of rock in the ball!
Minnemiller

Post by Minnemiller »

Wayne wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:48 am I don't think Duplex built a tail-less like Pipe Raymond. All The pictures I have seen have the counter weight. I have a book that instructs you to put 34 lbs of rock in the ball!
Hi Wayne. They are exceedingly rare now but they did make a bobtail Duplex. At the bottom is a picture of a 12 or 14 footer I found in the Dayton house in Worthington, MN. At the top is a regular 10 footer we harvested about 20 years ago in the infancy of digital cameras :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thanks! It's a good day when you learn a new fact.