Rivets for Sails

......when you need to get in the weeds.
JBarker

Rivets for Sails

Post by JBarker »

In the old forum there was a really good thread on using or not using rivets on sails during restoration. I hope to start this again for future reference so please join the discussion and explain what you use --rivets or bolts...and why...pros and cons? Please explain your methods if you would be so kind. Thanks
Last edited by JBarker on Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
JBarker

Re: Rivets for Sails

Post by JBarker »

I will start the thread by saying I have been using stainless steel nuts and bolts w/lock washer on the Aermotor mills I have been working on. I hope to get more experience in using rivets in the near future if possible. Can anyone recommend a good place and the type to use? Thanks
Last edited by JBarker on Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

When I remove rivets, I go back with a bolt/screw, lockwasher and nut. Almost always galvanized. It doesn't matter to me that it's not 'original', and most can't tell/don't care when looking at a mill 20+ feet up. Whether they'll hold secure for as long as a rivet is yet to be determined, but they'll likely last longer than me, which is how I gauge repair quality nowadays :)
PaulV
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

I use stainless steel industrial pop rivets that I get from a local auto parts store. Available in several lengths. You need a special version of the standard Harbor Fright installation tool to get them seated and compressed. It takes BOTH arms and a grunt to pull the pin heads through. They fit nicely into the rivet holes and don't need extra washers. Once you pull the pins through they have a wonderful habit/feature of showing up in any tires that may be driving by...
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

billcobb wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:00 pm I use stainless steel industrial pop rivets that I get from a local auto parts store. Available in several lengths. You need a special version of the standard Harbor Fright installation tool to get them seated and compressed. It takes BOTH arms and a grunt to pull the pin heads through. They fit nicely into the rivet holes and don't need extra washers. Once you pull the pins through they have a wonderful habit/feature of showing up in any tires that may be driving by...
Bill, can you show us a pic of the special tool you use? Thanks
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
windybob

Post by windybob »

Nuts and blots, as Jerry calls them. lol Rivets on occasion , if the customer demands original-type results.

This particular wheel has Stainless rims, and aluminum rivets. It will never move, so all is good. I would never use aluminum on a wheel if it moved. However, ALWAYS use locking hardware on a wheel.
waukomis 2.jpg
waukomis 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

windybob wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:44 pm Nuts and blots, as Jerry calls them. lol Rivets on occasion , if the customer demands original-type results.

This particular wheel has Stainless rims, and aluminum rivets. It will never move, so all is good. I would never use aluminum on a wheel if it moved. However, ALWAYS use locking hardware on a wheel.

waukomis 2.jpg

waukomis 1.jpg
What is that monument of???
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
windybob

Post by windybob »

The town want to commemorate early settlers around 1895. They wanted a windmill, I suggested a period one. They agreed. It's a Dandy, from that year. Even says so on the tower leg. The statue is an early settler "finishing up the job" of putting the mill up.
Dandy 3....4-17.jpg
Dandy 2...4-17.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

windybob wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:30 am The town want to commemorate early settlers around 1895. They wanted a windmill, I suggested a period one. They agreed. It's a Dandy, from that year. Even says so on the tower leg. The statue is an early settler "finishing up the job" of putting the mill up.

Dandy 3....4-17.jpg

Dandy 2...4-17.jpg
Pretty cool pics
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Jerry, I got my Large Hand Riveter it's called from Jay-Cee Sales & Rivet. www.rivetsinstock.com. Mine is lot num 80961-001. And as said I have to put small cheater bars on the handles to pop the 1/4 inch rivets.