Roman Numerals

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
JLM

Roman Numerals

Post by JLM »

20191028_165219.jpg

Does anyone know why their is Roman numerals stamped on the weight arm gear of this eclipse?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Re: Roman Numerals

Post by Wayne »

Don't know but I like his cotter key. When they stated making nails I bet they didn't know they were making a dual use product. Might have put a higher price on them!
windybob

Post by windybob »

I still don't see them.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JLM

Post by JLM »

If you zoom in you will see a L X I V anotherwindmiller said they were mills used on the railroad. Another tail casting or gate casting I have also has roman numerals also.That mill came from the opposite end of the county. I know ranchers reused mills off of the railroads. I Was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this before?
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

What size is the Mill? It would have to be a big one to have been used on the railroad I think.
JLM

Post by JLM »

14'
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

If it was a Railroad mill maybe they put the numbers on it to Id it for a certain spot. Is it a railroad Eclipse?
windybob

Post by windybob »

Wayne, i run into those key-nails all the time on old mills. I've never been able to find a dealer for them, so I just use regular nails.....
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JLM

Post by JLM »

This is a regular pattern mill.The regular patterns used a gear for the govenor weight. The only thing i can think is if it was used for railroad service it was on a shallow well with a 4" or 5" cylinder set 40'- 60'. Possibly the local distrbutor of these mills did this for their sales records.
JLM

Post by JLM »

Since windy cannot find a local source for these special nails i will be glad to send him some for a modest fee.