20’ Samson Model S

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Bryon

Re: 20’ Samson Model S

Post by Bryon »

Wayne wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:47 am Here is a guide and swivel I have. The guide has a 3/4 inch hole. The swivel with rod is 76 inches long with 3/4 inch rod. Swivel is 13 inches with a 1 3/4 inch slot for connection board. The swivel even has what looks to be a plug where you would put grease. It is heavy duty. Part num is D 168 don't have a clue as to windmill used on. I don't know why I have them. Had the swivel mounted to my open gear 8 ft Samson but it was causing me problems with my pull out chain so I rmoved.
Your part labeled D 168 is a pump rod for a 12ft Aermotor.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Ok Thanks. Makes me wonder how I ended up with it. The only Aermotor I have is a 8ft 602. Guess I'll see if anybody needs it.
JLM

Post by JLM »

If it will help I have a 16' samson i need to go work on i will try to take some pictures of the shutoff linkage when i get to the location.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Jake, how's the Samson coming?
PaulV
JLM

Post by JLM »

Before this last front hit we took the wheel sections out of that 16' Samson unfourtunately their was not much left of the shutoff mechanism this most likely caused the demise of this mill. Its a shame the owners stood up this mill for decoration without putting a drop of oil in it. I was called out to fix this mill once the wheel started hitting the tower. Too Late!
windybob

Post by windybob »

It's amazing how, even in a 6 ft, 1 quart mill, the owners think the oil lasts forever. Can't imagine not putting any in at all.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Lack of maintenance and lubrication has ruin a lot of windmills in my area. Not many still used for pumping water so usually no oil gets added something happens to the pull out and the windmill just keeps running with no oil until something breaks or wears out.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

JLM wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:51 pm If it will help I have a 16' samson i need to go work on i will try to take some pictures of the shutoff linkage when i get to the location.
Thank you for trying
Last edited by Overkill on Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
Jake

20ft Samson
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

PaulV wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:04 pm Jake, how's the Samson coming?
I just got back to the states so im busy back working on the mill. I'll post alot of pictures today.
Thanks,
Jake

20ft Samson
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Ok as promised here is the long and full of pictures update. First the turn table. What a pain for such a simple piece. The turn table was worn real bad to the point where in some places the hardened steel races were wears through. Then trying to find a new ball thrust bearing for it. First quote came in at just over $4500!!! I had to sit down for that one. I finally found a comparable bearing out of Norway for $325 shipped to me. The NSK PN is NSK 51144X. The will require a little lathe work to open up the OD of my bearing groove a little but that is an easy operation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks,
Jake

20ft Samson