Questions about a Stover/Samson tower

......when you need to get in the weeds.
windybob

Re: Questions about a Stover/Samson tower

Post by windybob »

That's what Krylon's for.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
bluezx6r

Post by bluezx6r »

I read this thread this weekend and was around a three leg tower that has a woodmanse mill on it. I'm not sure if this is a woodmanse tower, but I could share at least how the platform rested on it. The support starts at one leg with no hang over. It then extended approx. the 18" or whatever the measurement is, past the next leg. Then, where that leg had the platform rest hang over, started the rest for the other side with no hangover except where it hung over the next leg and the same with the third side. Reminded me of drawing a Chinese star with three lines if that makes sense. I drew what I'm talking about and added it in an attachment. Also attached is a picture from the ground, however I could barely see the supports from the ground with the lighting today, so you may not be able to see them in the picture. Looking at the picture of the platform supports in the stover/Samson tower question originally starting this thread, they appear to only hang over a couple inches. The supports in the tower attached hung over about as far as the platform.
This was likely figured out by now though.
Resized_20191130_142025.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JLM

Post by JLM »

If you need some parts i might be able to help you those three leg samson towers are very common in my area
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

If you need some parts i might be able to help you those three leg samson towers are very common in my area
I appreciate the offer to help. The tower I have is pretty much complete except for the service platform. The one thing I am looking for is a mill for the tower. I'd like to find 6 foot Samson S (or even an M) that I could rebuild and put up as a spinner in the back yard. If you come across one keep me in mind.

Regards,
Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

bluezx6r,

Thanks for the image and drawing. Here’s an image of a service platform I took while visiting Dave Straub.
Service platform 3 leg top.jpg
Service platform 3 leg bottom.jpg
Although I didn’t measure the length of the angle iron pieces at the time, they appear to be the same as those on my tower. And they appear to have only extended a couple of inches out beyond the legs, as mine does. If I ever stumble across a mill for this tower and decide to put it up, I’ll most likely use heavier angle pieces and cut them to extend out to the edge of the platform.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
JLM

Post by JLM »

I will have to look in my junk yard i might have part of a 8 footer 6 footers are not to common in my area
JLM

Post by JLM »

If it is a samson tower the platforms were round like the one blue has and had a light galvanized angle iron band around the wood. The f&w star towers had a triangle platform as well as the aermotors. I have a 40' 3 post samson tower it had a 12 ft samson model s on it that was too much weight and scary when removing the girts to pull pipe. I might have the hardware for one of those platforms also pm if you want to visit i'm located west of san antonio
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

John,
PM sent.
Jim