Woodmanse Type G Oil Bath Frozen

......when you need to get in the weeds.
windybob

Re: Woodmanse Type G Oil Bath Frozen

Post by windybob »

I have a set of deep 8 pt sockets. If you buy a set get deep ones. that way you don't find out you need deep ones too late.
I have had to drill out oil plugs before. You can heat around them too, (maybe) Or a pipe wrench works as a last resort.

The trick is with these things, is to get something moving. A lot of times, the mainshaft is NOT frozen, but linkage, or other parts are rusted. Whatever you can get removed, you are one-up on the thing. The mainshaft usually runs on babbitt, so it is likely not rusted, but (could be). Any shaft that runs through cast parts is likely froze. Sometimes you can get enough things out that the rest will start moving. That is a good feeling.

Good luck. easy with the hammer.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
bluezx6r

Post by bluezx6r »

IMG_20191130_085255678.jpg
I got the drain plug out today with no issues using the 3/8" four point socket and ratchet. I sprayed some penetration lubricant on it a few weeks ago.
IMG_20191130_090301120.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by bluezx6r on Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluezx6r

Post by bluezx6r »

IMG_20191116_161351748.jpg
Good copy on the sockets. Thanks for the inputs so far everyone. Im like a kid with his toys on this thing. I cant wait to get my first mill togather. My oldest son age 12 is always lending a hand. Heres a pic taking inventory on the dempster tower we want to put the woodmansee oil bath on. I still need to measure the dempster mast bed plate and storm stay on my tower to see if i can use the dempster or if i need to use the woodmanse. I want to use the dempster if possible because i also have a woodmanse open gear that ill work on after the oil bath, which I could use the woodmanse bed plate and storm stay for.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

If you have a Dempster turntable, that will work. I have switched many over to that.
bluezx6r

Post by bluezx6r »

Good to know. Thank you!
MAS

Post by MAS »

Windy is right on I have 8 up and only one has the correct tower.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Be sure to measure the neckpipe first, sorry. If it has a 2 in pipe you need a turntable to fit it. 1- 1/2 in pipe is mostly what I deal with here. Remember pipe has an ID measure, tubing is measured OD.
bluezx6r

Post by bluezx6r »

I measured them today. The woodmanse bead plate appears to be 2", while the mast of the mill is 1-7/8". The dempster tower has a 2- 7/16" bed plate and storm stay on it. Is this dempster considered a 2.5"? Im not sure my mill and dempster bed plate with storm stay will be compatible. Maybe i need to mount the woodmanse plate and storm stay i have to it?
bluezx6r

Post by bluezx6r »

I measured o.d. on the pipe and diameter of the bed plate and storm stay hole.