Different Windmill Raising/ Tear Down Techniques

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Wayne

Re: Different Windmill Raising/ Tear Down Techniques

Post by Wayne »

As far as being a power mill they could have put a shaft at ground level with a crank plate on it and turned it with the up and down action of the pump rod. Or had a walking beam set up.
mannrj

Post by mannrj »

HI all,

I'm new to the forum, but today erected a c.1970 Eureka windmill, manufactured in Essendon. The factory closed in 1972. It has an 18 feet (6 metre) tower and an 8 feet diameter fan.

The pump was made by Alderdice in Warnambool, Victoria and has had a seal replaced to work above ground. It was originally in a bore.

This one had been neglected near Warnambool and was recovered and repaired by a local guy there. Mainly added white metal and grease nipples to the bearings as well as some welding to repair a break on the tail.

We manufactured hinges for both feet and took the unusual step of making steel plate feet pads that can be levelled on threads.

The raising was really easy with the car winch and gin poles doing all the hard work. It was much harder reassembling the wheel than anything else.

Pictures attached for your enjoyment. Any questions, fire away.
Windmill 1.jpg
Windmill 2.png
Windmill 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Welcome! Thanks for the information. And pictures. Nice looking mill.

Always nice to hear from others around the world. Is it really dry there? looks like the pond is low. Let's see....maybe getting into your cooler season?
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Thanks for the photos and please post photos and info on your projects.
mannrj

Post by mannrj »

Thanks for the replies.

It's a new dam. About 5,000,000 litres. So it's still filling up. We thought it would take about 3 years but its taken 10 months to get to where is is. We get about 450 mm rain per year on average, so not too bad but definitely not tropical!

Added the deck and then added the windmill.

It's certainly getting colder. Near freezing the last couple of mornings, but clear skies and no wind make it a dream for putting up a mill.

Spent a few hours getting the pump to work, so now its recirculating back in to the dam.

I'll post some more photos as each step is completed.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I take the Windmill Journal from Australian. Looking at a map it has a little info of South Australia and shows Port Augusta and mentions what it calls a tiny settlement called Ooldea . What part are you in?
Smax

Post by Smax »

I have used hinges on the last two miles i have put up in my yard. I am not a professional just a collector so a pump pole rig or crane is not in the budget. So far I have not had any problems . Those pump pole and cranes do make it easy i will admit. I build a platform and cement it in the ground with heavy hinges welded to it.I then attach mill leg to hinge and lift the mill with a winch and telephone pole gin pole. So far I have not had any problems. I have lifted a 8 ft dempster and a 6 ft aermotor both on 20 ft towers don't think I would try anything heavier.
FB_IMG_1572912750585.jpg
FB_IMG_1579924976383.jpg
FB_IMG_1580610567327.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

I like using my forklift. A crane mine be a little easier but I’m able to move in either direction pretty easy.
Thanks,
Jake

20ft Samson
windybob

Post by windybob »

Guess the forklift is permanent? To hold it sideways I guess. lol That's quite a hill you put it on.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

billcobb wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:37 pm JLG_Hook.JPGHere's the official optional part picture. I made an interface similar to this then added about 4 feet of arm with a hook at the end. I will get you a pic of the arm on the ground. My crane is in the shed and it needs to be out in the open to detach the operator station and bucket. Seems to me that rentals are still available from my local Home Depot, so you could fab your own jib option and patch it into the rental. I like the extended arm because it needs to fit within the blades etc. and can go a few more feet up if you need that extra height.

BTW mine is battery/electric. This means its quiet and don't have to shout down (or up) to a helper. This has had a lot more usefulness than I thought: Christmas lights, cupola raising, windmills, tree trimming, barn painting and a great deer stand. It has electric and power washing wiring and hoses up to the bucket, too. I use a small 2000W inverter generator occasionally, too. This was also an optional kit for the JLG lifts. For all the use I've had from it, rarely needs a battery charge (built in). BUT ! It takes getting used to the working height. I had a wheel come off a Star 24 (classic problem) and straightened it out. Set up the crane on a perfectly calm morning. Well the breeze 30' up made it quite an experience. You have to focus on the mission, not the motions. AND DON"T LOOK UP. If you see a cloud moving you are screwed.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com