Aermotor WB-3 : what is it?

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
jlbeyersdorf

Aermotor WB-3 : what is it?

Post by jlbeyersdorf »

Hi -

I found a lift / pump / motor ?? not sure really what it is and looking for help to figure out what I have here.

The relief on the side of the box has the following:
Aermotor Co.
Chicago U.S.A
WB-3

Followed by a bunch of patent numbers.
IMG_5900.jpeg
I have been searching and cannot find any reference to a WB-3 by Aermotor

Anyone know what this is or what it was used for?
(the wheel still turns very easily and when spun it moves the pistons (?) - the only issue that I can see is that the axel is bent but I think that is easily fixed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Aermotor WB-3 : what is it?

Post by windybob »

Appears to be a pumpjack. Or a 'pumping head". Dempster made those also. I have 2 different kinds of Dempster "pumping heads". Not to be confused with windmills, although the purpose is the same.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Maybe someone has some lit on it. Aermotor made an amazing variety of water appliances.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

It is called a Working Head Pump. Neither my 1935 or 1963 catalogs show a WB-3, not even repair parts. ?? I have one that is marked WB-1. We had one in the well pit on the farm when I was a kid. Have attached some info from the 1963 catalog.
Gregg
Aermotor Working Head Pump a.jpeg
Aermotor Working Head Pump b.jpeg
Aermotor Working Head Pump c.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Gregg- Thank you for sharing the info on the working head. I'm going to add your scans to the document library.
PaulV
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

I had scanned these this afternoon but had to get back to the shop to do layouts for the welder. From the 1952 catalog. In the 1952 catalog there was no X model only A, B and D. And just 1, 2, 4 and 6 options. The one in question is closest to a 6 with the wide belt pulley.

These were the thing between gravity flow pressure and electric pumps. They had to have been problematic because of working against system pressure. I have pulled a couple wells with these on and even dislike them more than hand pumps. They were always fully rusted on so left on with the first stick of pipe, you have 400# dangling 21' over your head. That and the fact that they wouldn't swivel when breaking the first joint of pipe makes them very endearing.
aer wb.jpg
aer wb2.jpg
Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
windybob

Post by windybob »

Wow that's a lot more info than i expected. Great job guys!
jlbeyersdorf

Post by jlbeyersdorf »

Wow!! you guys are great. I agree with Windybob. This is way more information than I was hoping for and incredibly fast!

So, is what I have so extremely rare that is belongs in someones collection or is it the prototype that was so bad it was never to be mentioned again? lol
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

Can't say on the rarity. Maybe a newer model?? Attached are the repair sheets for it. Paul please move them to the library if you feel there is any value to them.
Thanks, Gregg
Aermotor Working Head Pump Repair 1.jpeg
Aermotor Working Head Pump Repair 2.jpeg
Aermotor Working Head Pump Repair 3.jpeg
Aermotor Working Head Pump Repair 4.jpeg
windybob

Post by windybob »

Would be nice in a collection of pump jacks or Aermotor items. About as useful as a 10 ft Hambone though.