Dempster #14

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
joe herman

Dempster #14

Post by joe herman »

I came across a Dempster 10ft #14 vaneless run in oil head located on an abandoned farm.Access
was thru a stubble field that is now seeded and no way to get back to it until after harvest.Did not
have a camera with me.I could not find any vanes.rods or rim plates on the property.
Does any one have a close up of a restored head so I can see how the furling mechanism works?
Might be an interesting project that will probably need parts that could be brought to
next year`s trade fair.
Thanks
Joe
Terry

Re: Dempster

Post by Terry »

Joe
I dug my Dempster # 14 out of the barn tonight and brought it into the shop. It needs to be restored but it is in good shape.
I will get some pictures in a few days for you.

Paul
If you could start a new thread for ease of a search.
Thank you
Terry
Wayne

Re: Dempster #14

Post by Wayne »

A 14 doesn't have a vane. It is the last vaneless mill built by Dempster. You will understand after Terry sends you a picture or two.
Terry

Post by Terry »

# 14 spider 3.png
Bottom of case 1.png
I got some pictures posted of the Dempster # 14
The bottom of the case and the shipper spider the springs attach to the J hooks with the other end goes to the end of the arms.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Terry

Post by Terry »

spider 3.png
The front spider sure has a lot of moving parts.
top of case.png
The top of the case
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Cross head.png
The cross head
Crank plate.png
Note the 3 stroke lengths
Terry

Post by Terry »

spider 4.png
Another picture of the spider
jposey4564

Post by jposey4564 »

Hi, my name is Jim I just joined and found the pictures. I am trying to find out how to put the motor back together on the same no.14 vaneless. Unfortunately the previous owner passed on and had no info or disassembly pictures. You're pictures will help but I didn't know if you had some that would show more details or a assembly diagram I could buy a copy of.
Terry

Post by Terry »

I can get some more pictures of the mill. I will also check on a parts list.
I have not started working on this mill yet.
Terry
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Thanks for the pictures Terry .I am going to try and contact the farmer and see if they are
finished harvesting so one can get to that mill and see if I want to buy it. He was asking $60.00
and I told him it was basically scrap so he might come down.
If you can post a few more pictures I`ll be able to see what all is missing of the head.
Joe