Aermotor 602 Project

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
DBinMN

Aermotor 602 Project

Post by DBinMN »

23-May-2020

Here its where all started
https://vintagewindmillforum.com/viewto ... f=32&t=773

Thought it best to start a new thread in the Project Section, going to need some help as Im as green as they come.

Added an 1300pound electric hoist to the shop to help with this project, I can see using this for other things now that its installed, money well spent. The hoist made easy work of unloading the mill, will add some pictures later today.

First question, im going to build a stand to get the mill vertical, can I just stick a piece of pipe in the mill for it to sit on (the pipe will be supported by some kind of fixture)? Does one need to take the Bonnet off and do something first? I dont want to destroy somthing, sure its a dumb question for most of you but..........

I have tendency to overbuild most things, my guess this project will be the same.

Update 24-May-2020

Not sure the best way to track the project on here, thought I would update this post as time goes on, if its easier for others I can just keep adding on to the end too.

Yesterday I got the bonnet off, built a stand with wheels for it and as of today its vertical. Did not have a mast for it but after looking at it for a bit I found a 1.25" chunk of pipe fit about perfect in it. I used a chunk of that pipe added a coupler for the mill to sit and another chunk of pipe to poke in the mill.

According to the previous Owner it sat in his pole barn for the past 20 years, well lets just say I never seen a mouse nest that big, the bonnet was chuck full of dead mice, acorns, fluffing etc.

I feel very lucky, being a green horn and just by dumb luck I was able to snag a 602 (i wanted something old), going to take some time to try to find some date stamps.
Last edited by DBinMN on Sun May 24, 2020 10:24 am, edited 4 times in total.
DBinMN

Re: Aermotor Project

Post by DBinMN »

Progress Pictures

Last edited by DBinMN on Sun May 24, 2020 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
DBinMN

Post by DBinMN »

Reserved
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

Look at the mast pipe in the top of your tower. That is what the windmill sits on. You need to make something very similar to that. Just a pipe will not hold it. The appropriate sized pipe is a good start but it also needs something on which to sit.
DBinMN

Post by DBinMN »

Bryon wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:09 am Look at the mast pipe in the top of your tower. That is what the windmill sits on. You need to make something very similar to that. Just a pipe will not hold it. The appropriate sized pipe is a good start but it also needs something on which to sit.

Unfortunately I did not get the mast pipe part, I got a bent up tower I may try to salvage but it came from another mill, not sure what was on top of it, thats another project!

Im looking for a way to get it vertical so I can take it apart to see what I really have. If I need to source an orginal mast pipe piece I can but was looking for somthing simple like just a chunk or sch 40 pipe to sit it on in the shop. Trying not to add more $ to the project until I know what I have if that makes sense.

Thanks for the input
DBinMN

Post by DBinMN »

I got the bonnet off, thiink i can rig a temp mount easy peasy, will let you know how i come out
Bryon

Re: Aermotor 602 Project

Post by Bryon »

Next step is to take the blade sections off. Start with the nuts/bolts in the inner band -- take them out. Then remove the bolts from the outer band on one blade section and remove it. Don't lose the nuts they are a special thread. Repeat until all the blade sections are off. Once you remove a couple of blade sections the V-spokes are going to become loose. Take them out as needed. Be careful and don't bend the V-spokes any more than necessary. Make note of how they are installed. The tips point a specific way.
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

You don't have any of the U-bolts so you can skip step one.
removeSpokes602.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DBinMN

Post by DBinMN »

Thanks Bryon, will get at that today, well or tomorrow!
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

thank you for the photo of the tail !
my Aermotor has the same small pie shape metal fill in the upper corner. I always wondered if that was factor original or home repair installed ?
Mike B
New Braunfels TX