Dempster Vaneless

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
rockingjl

Dempster Vaneless

Post by rockingjl »

Well, after advise & Counseling from Windmiller Extraordinaire Windybob I came home with this collection of parts I had gone to look at. It was represented as A Halliday but turned out to be a Dempster. When I got home and pulled in to the drive lovely Linda looked in the pickup bed and said did we really need more kindling. I am not sure what is missing, all help appreciated.
Looking to find out approximate age and model number.
The horse was in the pictures but has disappeared. Suspected is the neighbor of the guy I bought it from that took the windmill down. Looking for any info I can buy or copy. Thanks, Jeff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wind fab

Re: Dempster Vaneless

Post by wind fab »

AWSOME

WHAT A GREAT PROJECT

PAUL IN FROSTY CANADA
windybob

Post by windybob »

Ask him to go look and see if it's a short tail, or a long tail. If he comes back with a definite answer.....well you know.

Pretty sure you can get a repro.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
rockingjl

Post by rockingjl »

Here is the only picture from the ad that shows the horse
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

It's amazing how similar the Dempster and Pipe Raymond were. Who copied who?
Todd

Post by Todd »

Jeff: The 1JJ casting number on the mainframe denotes a 10' No. 3 Vaneless mill. It would have had the short tailed horse with the cast lid and weight box. I see the weight box in your pics, but I didn't see the cast lid, part # 87J.

Very nice acquisition! I have had my #3 about 95% restored for about 10 years now
and can't find the time to finish it and put it up!
rockingjl

Post by rockingjl »

Thanks Todd, Yes the cast lid and the horse are missing. Plus 1/2 half of the cast piece connected to the 2 arms in the middle of the 6th picture
rockingjl

Post by rockingjl »

I would like to build a work stand, how wide can the base be and not interfere with the blades.
Also would like to keep the overall height as low as possible, blades just clearing the floor by say 2 inches or so.
Thanks
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Use your Top casting as your starting point and ten add the storm stay down the lags about 2 and a half feet. Then come straight out from 2 legs in all four directions to make it stand up. Measure how high above the top casting the main shaft will set and since you half a 10 ft make the distance to the floor about 5and a half ft. from the main shaft. That's my way but some one else might have a better way.
JEG

Post by JEG »

Just seen an Omaha craigslist listing for a short tail Dempster weight under antiques.