Aermotor 602 Project

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Ron Stauffer

Re: Aermotor 602 Project

Post by Ron Stauffer »

The pic of the buffer side of the case shows the remains of the wire flipper so that is why the 702 yoke is in there. Has the 786 brake arm versus the 586 too. Missed that the first time thru

Ron
windybob

Post by windybob »

Thanks Ron. I see now. Not as quick to notice as you.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
DBinMN

Post by DBinMN »

Thanks everyone,

Here is a pic of the front hub, has some letters, not sure if that transfers into a date?

I did see a flat spot on the hoop but did not see any lettering, I will take a closer look this weekend.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I'm sorry about the mis-information I gave. I feel bad about that. I'm supposed to know what I'm doing. Maybe I'll take a hiatus in offering advice. Don't seem to be alert like before. Maybe it's Prevagin time.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Does those letters have anything to do with FIASA from Argentina?
DBinMN

Post by DBinMN »

No worries Windybob, you know 100 times more than I do about this.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

This is what the original hub plug would have looked like

martian eyes.jpg

If your hoop has a flat spot on it, it is most likely a replacement. I have seen enough unstamped hoops with flat spots on 602 and 702 to believe the flat spot was put on when hoops were made but not stamped until a complete motor was assembled. The three early cases I have here have no flat spot on the hoop.

The stamp on your shaft is different from any I have or a Dakota rebuilder has seen. The earliest stamps on hubs didnt have the consistency as when later placed on the hoop but did have letters and numbers. Maybe possibly from a rebuilder.

Since you have a flat bottom case, you will need to get a Chicago era mast where the cup is removable. New masts including aftermarket have the cup welded on. The original ones were a heavy flat removable washer. You can take a Chicago era cupped one and remove it and replace turning it upside down and then shim as needed.

Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DBinMN

Post by DBinMN »

Sounds like finding a mast maybe somewhat of a challenge. Being this mill is not going to work Im not opposed to welding something up. What do these mill sit on? Looking at the parts diagram I cant tell if its some kind or bearing, just a flat spot with grease does not seem right?

Im still up in the air on the tower. Saw a wood one up the road from here I really liked, leaning that way. Im building my tower either steel or wood, I can incorporate whatever mast I need if Im going to make that too
larrychilton

Post by larrychilton »

You shouldn't have much problem finding a good, used mast pipe for A502, A602 and A702 at a reasonable price. if interested, I can supply information and pictures on making your own wooden tower. I have two in my front yard, a 6 ft and 10ft. Wooden towers are not difficult to make and mine have been up and running since 2002 with many more years to go out of treated pine from Home Depot or other lumber companies. Galvanized bolts for assembly can be purchased at good prices from local supply businesses.

Larry
DBinMN

Post by DBinMN »

larrychilton wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:06 pm You shouldn't have much problem finding a good, used mast pipe for A502, A602 and A702 at a reasonable price. if interested, I can supply information and pictures on making your own wooden tower. I have two in my front yard, a 6 ft and 10ft. Wooden towers are not difficult to make and mine have been up and running since 2002 with many more years to go out of treated pine from Home Depot or other lumber companies. Galvanized bolts for assembly can be purchased at good prices from local supply businesses.

Larry
I don't mind even buying a new complete sub tower assembly if I can modify it to work my 602 with the flat bottom.

I would love to see what you have for a wooden tower. If I go wood its going to be 18'-20' as that is the longest board I can get at my local store off the shelf. For what I'm going to do that height will be just fine, will be much easy than the 60' antenna tower I did 30 years ago!

Some examples of wood towers I found on the internet:
https://images.app.goo.gl/cox2VBsWHE4F27rq9
https://images.app.goo.gl/mWiR1HLUB1v6QMiP6
https://images.app.goo.gl/iARTuLRXAcG1W2Jm8