F&W Star 37

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
Janet

F&W Star 37

Post by Janet »

Hello from Washington state! Last year we purchased a Star 37 windmill to restore. It’s been sitting while we finished some other projects but we’re ready now to start on it. The wheel hub was broken when we bought it but we’ve damaged it further while trying to remove it - I believe it’s part number 18837. Wondering how difficult it will be to find another one and if anyone can recommend something good to help with rust removal. We’ve never restored a windmill before, so any info would be great!
Kenneth

Re: F&W Star 37

Post by Kenneth »

Hi Janet. Welcome to the site. First from your part part number, you have an 8' diameter
wheel. You say you tried to remove the hub and damaged it further. It would help if you can post some pictures of what you have. The hub is secured with a tapered gib key, and a set screw.
I would remove the hub and shaft as an assembly. Before you try to remove the hub shaft,
The pinion gears have set screws as well as woodruff keys.
See my post in "Projects" titled "Star 37". It show where I reassembled my Star 37.
There you can see how it goes together. From that, you can reverse the process.
Under the hub, on top of the snout, there will be a number cast in followed by a letter.
Usually the letter will be "R" meaning Roller bearings.
Check out my post in Projects, post some pictures and we will try to get you going on it.

Kenneth
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Welcome to the forum. Lots of knowledge here.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Thanks for the info Kenneth! I didn’t realize the diameter of the wheel is 8ft! When we bought it, it was disassembled. For the hub, the set screw was missing but we were able to get the key out before we tried taking the hub off. It’s just so rusted solid. We have it soaking in something now to try and free it up. Really don’t want to damage anything else as we go along.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

Janet, in your pictures, I see the set screw is still in the hub. It is square headed with
a hex nut to lock it down. I wouldn't try to remove the hub from the shaft at this time.
It will cause more damage. Instead, start by removing everything on the outside of the
gearbox. Most of it is cotter pins. Then, remove the pitman arms. After that there is a
bolt with a square nut on top and a 3/4" round rod that holds the big gear assembly
In the gearbox. There is also a small round oil pump rod that moves up and down
that oils the upper cross shaft. This should come out with 3/4" rod. And can be slid out
after that rod is removed.
My best advice is to be patient and take your time. Once you start disassembling it,
It will make more sense. All this should be removed before trying to remove the hub
and shaft assembly. Again, the hub and shaft can be removed as an assembly.
Just an FYI. That 3/4" round bar threads into the gearbox.
The flat bar brace runs from a casting on top of the 3/4" round bar to the outer edge
of the gearbox. It has one square head bolt on each end.
Try that for now and get back with questions.

Kenneth
Janet

Post by Janet »

Hi Kenneth
I took the pics before we had started to disassemble it. At this point we've taken off everything that isn't rusted solid and we're cleaning and painting those parts. We have the bigger parts soaking in a solution to hopefully free things up. We'll give it a few days and try again. I still need to try and locate a wheel hub. If you have any leads, please let me know. Thanks again for the info! Your pics were very helpful.
windybob

Post by windybob »

If anyone has Star 37 hubs cast, it would be great. Not sure if anyone does.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

Janet, you can post in the " Wanted" section for your hub and anything else you
might need. I do not have a hub but someone here might.
Did you get my message about the hub and shaft?

Kenneth
billcobb

Post by billcobb »

Cook it in a hot charcoal pit for an hour or 2. It will slide right off.
0914201102221.jpg
P1140764.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Razberi

Post by Razberi »

I had the same problem with my hub on a 10 ft. star 37. Under the bell, the brake portion of the hub, there is a slotted ring that screws into the snout of the gearbox. A tab secured by a short bolt holds that ring in place. the bolt ,tab, and ring had to be unscrewed before the shaft could be pulled out because my outboard bearing was rusted to the shaft (inner race). That slotted ring locates the outboard bearing.
Long story short the shaft and hub were in several pieces before it was apart. I've been looking for a hub for over a year, so try not to mangle it! I had a new shaft made for $80, so destroy the shaft if you have to but not the hub! I'm assuming your 8 footer is put together the same way my 10 footer is. The hub I need has six spokes. I guess us Washingtonians don't have much luck with Star 37's eh? Good luck with your Star!