Fairbanks Morse Model 45- rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
FlJet

Re: Fairbanks Morse Model 45- rebuild

Post by FlJet »

I'm planning on welding it cold. Just individual tacks, and then peen it while it's hot and soft to relieve the stresses. My question on heating it wasn't to preheat for the weld. It was a question about getting rid of the oil that's on and in the cast. I've read through a good bit of this site, but not all of it yet so maybe it's something that's already been covered in detail. Seems like I've seen a couple of people mention using weed burners to clean the oil and paint off of parts. I've got a fish frier burner that I could use to heat up pretty much the whole thing at once. Or a little propane torch to just burn off the oil and paint there in the nose. I've always had better luck with something good and clean.
windybob

Post by windybob »

If there is no babbitt in a case, (Monitor, limited Dempster, ) I will burn it out with a torch. Some guys throw gas in it and burn it. I don't know about that. But you still need to be careful, kind of spread it out so it's not too hot all in one place.

Here's what I used to do, before I started getting a crappy job back. Take it to a auto machine shop, they can tank it, and then sandblast it. Boy the results are astounding. It was worth the 15 bucks for me. They got to doing a lousy job, and charging 25 at the end. That's when I decided on doing it myself.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

No babbitt in mine. Though I'd hate to find out that the brass bushings I have in there aren't actually press-fit and I burn out whatever epoxy is holding them in. I did pressure wash the case at the car wash. I forget how low they have the pressure turned down to avoid stripping paint and getting sued. I also didn't anticipate how much water hit that curved bottom of the case and shot right back at me. Should have worn a rain slicker and face shield. I'm shocked at how much stuff I could still scrape off when I got home. But at least I could see everything more clearly. I might just take a few minutes with the little propane torch and see how it goes. I do have a 20 gal sandblast pot. It's just a royal pain in the butt to set up and run. So much so that I've been looking at those little handheld blasting rigs. It would be slow, but I don't have a lot to blast so it probably doesn't matter.

I'll check and see if the auto machine shop is still open. Only one that I knew of still in the area. That would be nice to just drop it off and pick it back up.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

So while I'm waiting on my parts and tools to arrive, I wanted to try and track down some of the other items I'm missing. Mainly springs. Trying to find a replacement for my vane spring. Looks an awful lot like a trailer ramp assist spring. Any pointers?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Let me take some measurements tomorrow for the tailspring.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Here is the tailspring and hardware from an 8 ft Open Gear Woodmanse. Although the hardware is different, I don't know if you could adapt it to your mill. The spring MAY work, although it may be a little narrow, as it is the same as the tailspring on my 6 ft Mod45. However is is larger than the 6 ft, and heavier. It also has the bushings in it you need. It is wound the proper direction also. I bet it would work.
Oh, the opening distance between the case tabs for this whole unit is 8 inches. The castings for the original Mod 45 are 2 piece as in you picture. If you do not have those, or cannot get them, MAYBE this will do.

Woodmanse tail hardware.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Also, I think you wanted this....

Mod M oil tube measure.jpeg
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

windybob wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:33 pm Here is the tailspring and hardware from an 8 ft Open Gear Woodmanse. Although the hardware is different, I don't know if you could adapt it to your mill. The spring MAY work, although it may be a little narrow, as it is the same as the tailspring on my 6 ft Mod45. However is is larger than the 6 ft, and heavier. It also has the bushings in it you need. It is wound the proper direction also. I bet it would work.
Oh, the opening distance between the case tabs for this whole unit is 8 inches. The castings for the original Mod 45 are 2 piece as in you picture. If you do not have those, or cannot get them, MAYBE this will do.

Woodmanse tail hardware.jpeg

Let me check that against my hardware. I am missing the bushings as well. What's the pin diameter?
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

windybob wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:34 pm Also, I think you wanted this....

Mod M oil tube measure.jpeg
Actually my oil pump seems to be in good shape. It's the oil pump lifter that I'm missing.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

You were calling it an oil trough in your photos.