Fairbanks Morse Model 45- rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
FlJet

Re: Fairbanks Morse Model 45- rebuild

Post by FlJet »

FlJet wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:32 pm Alright, finally getting to upload photos.

4-1/2” outside to outside on the guide rods

2” from the pin on the roller cross head to the centerline of the pump guiderod

3” from pin to pin on either side of the roller crosshead

4-1/2” out to out on the roller cross head.

Looking at the parts list, the 6’ and 8’ mills shared the same roller crosshead, crosshead roller, and Oiler lifter.

Page 5 of this thread has some of the photos I took but my measurements are listed above on the fit of the "oil pump lifter"/"Oil Trough"
windybob

Post by windybob »

Ok. You want it? The tailpin looks to be a good 1/2 inch, maybe 5/8. will check tomorrow.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

I still need to check my case, but I do want the spring. It will give me a great starting point even if it doesn't work (wire size, number of wraps, arm length, OD, etc.). Right now I have nothing to go on.

Same on that oil trough. I can stumble my way into something that I think works, but I might just be setting myself up for oiling problems down the road and not realize it. No point reinventing the wheel. I'd love it if it does fit and I can just drop it right in. But I'm interested in it regardless. If I do need to fabricate something, having yours sitting on the bench to reference would be a huge head start. Check it against my measurements though if you don't mind. If it does look like it's going to be a fit, I'd love for you to engrave what model windmill it came from, and at least your initials on the part. I don't know the story of the inside of my machine. I want whoever messes with it next to have a little more to go on. Anything new in mine is getting some sort of tag.

PM me and let me know what you want for them. And thanks again for tearing into your 6' mill at the same time. That has been very helpful to me.
windybob

Post by windybob »

The tail pin is 5/8. If your oil pump tube is 3/4 OD, the oiler should fit. The tabs on your crosshead is what the 2 tangs sit on to let the oil run into the trough of the crosshead.

Now for the tail hinge hardware, Do you want all of it, so you can (fab), or (cut apart) or use as is for a tail? The spring should be good, and the spring bushings should be good. The tailpin itself will work if you have 8 inches between case tabs, but it's just a piece of 5/8 cold rolled anyway. The cast tail (casting) hinge you can rework or re-fab for a tail hook up. Let me know if you want the whole thing. The whole tail pivot assembly is off of an 8 ft Open-Gear Woodmanse.

Oh, thanks for the thanks. lol
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

My tail pin is also 5/8” diameter. I have to study this tomorrow in the daylight. I wasn’t exactly sure how this all went together when I measured. If my parts list is accurate, my Spring should have 11 wraps. So does yours. I’m optimistic that it’s a match. Or close enough.

My oil pump tube is 3/4” OD so the oil trough should work just fine without any modifications.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

Well I feel better. Yesterday I just could not make sense of how these pieces went together. My case is on the bench and my tail section was over in the corner. Today I pinned them together and noticed something strange. Looks like I need to swap some brackets top and bottom. I wonder when, and why, that happened.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I think you are right. I didn't know you had those. I thought you were bracket-less. Looks like you also need a bumper spring. That should be easy to fix.
windybob

Post by windybob »

How far from the center of the tailpin to the case wall?
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

I think he has the brackets reversed on the tail bone.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

Brackets swapped, although I think I still have the tail on upside down. The attachment point for the pullout chain looks wrong.

Looks like I have roughly 5-1/4” for the spring and I’m 1-5/8” from the case to the center line of the tail pin.

Assuming I have this all stacked up correctly. I’m finding all sorts of stuff that’s upside down and backwards. Oh the joys of buying someone else’s project. 😆