Gin Poles for Raising Motors on Top of Towers

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Smax

Re: Gin Poles for Raising Motors on Top of Towers

Post by Smax »

Thanks for photos. Been needing to get my dempster model 10 down for a while now so I can fix the wheel and other damage. What's the recommendations on size of tubing or pipe . May try and build a gin pole . Steve
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

My gin pole is made out of thick wall square tubing. I didn't make it. Was factory made somewhere don't know what it's capacity might be. Tubing is 2 inch.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Minnemiller wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:51 pm
JBarker wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:58 pm
Thanks Jud great pic, that looks dangerous!!!
Jerry, glad to share. Curious why you say it looks dangerous? We use safety harnesses. The drive there and the climb up the tower is probably just as dangerous as working up there. There is risk in working on windmills no matter how you do it :D
Kansas Rust Buzzard wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:44 pm Looks like a 12 foot or so Mogul Power mill to me as it appears to be a bevel gear coming off the front on the countershaft and going down the center?
Correct, a 12' Elgin Mogul. Took years to get it bought but we were able to get it purchased and within 15 mins were setting the ginpole. Thats another advantage, you have less time for people to change their minds before the crane arrives :D
Love that pic, got to make me a gin pole!!!
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Ken O'Brock

Post by Ken O'Brock »

I have always used a gin pole to put up 6', 8' and 10' mills. Anything bigger than 10' a crane was needed. 10' was always put up without the wheel and that was assembled up there. Just screw in the wheel arms and pull up the 6 wheel sections and attach them. I had several designs for gin poles but the one I settled on I used for about 35 years. It had enough aircraft cable for a 60' tower and always used a winch that will not free wheel. Having a free wheeling winch is a sure fire way to get hurt bad. My gin pole weighs 75 lbs. It's not too hard to pull up if you use the mast pipe like a windless. Old Navy trick. There are a couple photos of my gin pole on this link on my web site. http://obrockwindmills.com/obrockwindmi ... tos_1.html
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Good subject, as I need to build a new gin pole. My problem, on anything I design/build, is that it will be overbuilt. If I build a go-cart, I end up with mini armored vehicle.

Ken -
  • On your older pipe version, did that have sched 40 or sched 80 pipe?
  • On your new (40 year old) version, is the mast 2 pieces? What is the bulge on the mast at around 7' or 8'?And do you know what size materials it is made of?
Thanks,
Ed
windybob

Post by windybob »

Mister Ed wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:42 am Good subject, as I need to build a new gin pole. My problem, on anything I design/build, is that it will be overbuilt. If I build a go-cart, I end up with mini armored vehicle.

Yeah Ed, I heard the last time you built a house, you wound up with the Winchester castle. lol
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

windybob wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:35 pm
Yeah Ed, I heard the last time you built a house, you wound up with the Winchester castle. lol
LMBO, not hardly.
Thanks,
Ed
LoTec

Post by LoTec »

Here are some pictures of my gin pole rig. I'm installing a 10' Aermotor B702 motor. I then use the gin pole to install the tail, then take down the gin pole and my ground crew sends up the wheel sections one at a time with a rope and pulley. I also use this gin pole to install 12' motors (350 lbs) and tails. I have once or twice used this rig to install a complete 8' mill with assembled wheel and tail, but don't like doing it that way. I have a smaller, lighter gin pole I usually use for 8' motors.
gin pole 1.jpg
gin pole 2.jpg
gin pole 3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LoTec

Post by LoTec »

Here's the tail hanging shot that would not fit in the previous comment.
gin pole 4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Those are good instructional shots. Notice the safety gear. Good job.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.