Babbitt Alternative?

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
bluezx6r

Babbitt Alternative?

Post by bluezx6r »

Hi all, Im curious if anyone has used an alternative for babbitt in their windmills and been successful. I have an open gear woodmansee thats been sitting in my shed for a bit needing some babbitt before putting it back togather. However im not sure i want to attempt the babbitt. Is there a liquid plastic composite or epoxy of some sort that i can pour without heat, that would harden like a bearing, not damage anything, and allow some occassional use of the mill?
Wayne

Re: Babbitt Alternative?

Post by Wayne »

You might contact Dan Benjamin he might make you some brass bushings.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

Babbitt is not hard to pour, heck even I can do it. If you mess up ... you melt it back out and pour it in again. you don't need a bunch of heat. My first pours I melted in a tin can on a Coleman camp stove. A very small cast iron fry pan would work great.

Where are you located?
Thanks,
Ed
MAS

Post by MAS »

Just did my 8' OG Woodmanse. I have pictures on my phone. I dont know how to put them on here.Text me at 580-660-5654
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

If you have email you can send them to your email through a text message and then save them to your computer. Just like you would send a text to someone except you use your email address. Do it all the time.
bluezx6r

Post by bluezx6r »

Thanks all, im out of altoona iowa. Mas ill send you a text. Ill then post them here for others to see.
bluezx6r

Post by bluezx6r »

Thanks for fhe pics MAS! Is that a jig and is that a direct stroke?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bluezx6r

Post by bluezx6r »

What kind of babbitt did you use and where do you recommend getting it from?
bluezx6r

Post by bluezx6r »

Ive read through some aermotor pouring instructions and it sounded like a lot of work. Maybe the open gears are way simpler.
Mister Ed

Post by Mister Ed »

When I buy babbitt, I usually go to Roto Metals and just buy one of the general purpose babbitts (I forget the number). When you are at their site, also get some putty. I forget what it is listed as on their website ... around here its commonly called dog "stuff".

Open shell like in MAS photos are way simpler than a 602. You can also see in MAS pic where he has placed the Doggie-doo so stop the babbitt from entering the center area. Take a peak at some youtube videos of pouring babbitt. Many times they are of opened sleeve bearings. I am not a pro at it, but I find it rather enjoying.

MAS that is a wonderful jig. Pretty elaborate compared to what I normally use ... but did provide me with a couple of AH-Ha moments, thanks for the ideas.
Thanks,
Ed