Aermotor tower :Round screw heads instead of square

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
hwy8

Aermotor tower :Round screw heads instead of square

Post by hwy8 »

I was taking the three leg Aemotor tower apart and the horizontal angle iron and brace rods are held with bolts with round, screw type heads. First of all, they don't come apart easily without exactly the right screw driver, or sometimes, vise-grips, and because the nut is tucked tightly under the angle, it's almost impossible to be turned with a wrench.

#1: Did Aermotor use this kind of hardware on just the rod-type braces? I'm wondering if they might have done that so the "eyes" of the rods didn't get torn out when using square headed bolts. Is this what is used on modern/new towers or was this only used during a certain era?

#2: As in the photo, the horizontal angles are hanging on the outside of the tower and the brace rods are on the inside. Is it supposed to be this way?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron Stauffer

Re: Aermotor tower :Round screw heads instead of square

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Yes that was a common bolt on the trussed tripod 3 leg, prior to 1915. I refer to them as PIA Aer bolts, the only way to hold the head is with vise grips. Whoever assembled put them thru the wrong way, the nut should be on the split rod side

Ron
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

Thanks Ron....Are the horizontals in the pictures attached correctly? That is, on the outside surface of the legs?
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

The trussed tripod I think had "outies" on the top girts. Not sure about toward the bottom. So if that was a 30', the tripod would have started at the bottom of the 20' section.

The newer Aer "easy to build up" 3 leg had "innie" girts.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

trussed tripod.jpg

aermotor trussed tripod tower.jpg

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

Thanks for the photos!! Is your pic of the tower laying down like this drawing? In my attached diagram, are the "X" shaped braces called trusses? There are a number of them in all of the parts I just bought and when I rebuild the 3 leg tower with an A702, I'd like to configure it like that.

All of the tower parts I bought were from complete towers that someone took down but are now all in a heap. I've found four leg AER parts diagrams online that are numbered but can't find a 3 leg diagram. There are stenciled part numbers on a lot of the parts I have so it would be good a good tool to help organize.
If something is missing, I won't hesitate fabricating new tower parts: I have the shear, punch, and materials.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Nope your drawing is a post 1915 easy to build up and picture is of a trussed tripod. The easy to build up 3 leg has the girts as innies and split rod braces are on outside

Ron
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Easy to build up 3 leg was 13.5 and/or 7 sections same as 4 leg. The trussed tripod was 20 and/or 10 or 20.

Ron
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

27' Easy to build up 3 leg

3 leg 002.JPG

I checked a better pic of a trussed tripod and the girts are all outies

Ron