Smith & Pomeroy - Eureka Steel

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
IvanBlock

Smith & Pomeroy - Eureka Steel

Post by IvanBlock »

About six weeks ago I found an 8' back geared Eureka Steel in close to complete condition. It had been rolled back and forth across the farmyard several times over the years so its gotten pretty banged up. Being as scarce as it is I've decided to make it one of my winter projects. The only other thing Eureka I found over the past 25 years was a tailvane and an 1895 original catalog. It has a couple of broken castings, missing pinion gear, mast pipe broken off flush with the frame (the mast pipe on these was cast into the main casting so that will have to be removed) and a hub that is totally trashed. Everything but the hub I'm able to handle but can anyone offer a suggestion on how to replicate that hub. The chances of finding parts or another hub to recast from is probably zero. Any ideas on getting that pipe out of the frame, 13" total with a 1 1/2" pipe, pretty hard to get a torch tip in vary far. Any help, ideas, pictures, parts list would be helpful. Attached are some pictures.
101_0184.JPG
101_0185.JPG
101_0194.JPG
101_0193.JPG
101_0210.JPG
101_0209.JPG
101_0191.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Re: Smith & Pomeroy - Eureka Steel

Post by mtblah »

Ivan , great find !
The hub you have has a good origional section remaining , a pattern maker can use that and replicate that into a complete circle .
Just time & money
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Ivan can you cut off a couple of inches off the mast pipe up in the head of the mill and slip a new one in and weld it to the mill
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Ivan a friend of mine who's son works with a 3D printer believes he could take your broken hub and replicate it.Then you could use it to cast a new one
steve p

Post by steve p »

Great find Ivan. Good luck with the restoration. Interesting project.
Les Jacox

Post by Les Jacox »

Ivan, this is our Eureka. If the hub will work for you, I'll get if off and you can recast it. Let me know.
DSCN2481a.jpg
DSCN2483a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Les Jacox
Garland, NE