Dempster 6ft No 12 rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
fiegland

Re: Dempster 6ft No 12 rebuild

Post by fiegland »

Ron, by the way. The mill actually comes out of North Dakota, not local.
Last edited by fiegland on Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windybob

Post by windybob »

hold on . looks like your hybrid has been mis-hybrid-ed. I willl explain in a few. I'm in the middle of something....
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

okay, going to get out into the weeds here. the #12 model Dempster had 2 types of oil seals in the front. the earlier one was a felt type seal, that is slightly compressed around the mainnshaft. The later seal is a full-circle rubber oil seal like yours. Both types of oil seals had different hardware sliding onto the mainshaft. When they went to the later oil seal is when they changed the hardware. What you have is a later oil seal, with the earlier assembly of items on the mainshaft. I have changed many-a-mill from ealier to later oil seals, but I always change the hardware on the mainshaft along with it, to the later style too. Ok, now, what to do? Here is the way to get the mainshaft out of the case. Take off the castle nut, and (washer) on the end of the shaft in the case. That's the rear of the mainshaft. Start soaking, even before you do anything. soak the entire shaft, and all the shaft hardware. The pinion gear on the back should come off the shaft. Then there is a barrel spacer on the shaft between the gear and the bearing. Also, a small square key on the shaft under the gear you remove.

Let go to the front now. Look under the front of the snout, and see if you have a slotted set screw with a nut on it goin UP into the bottom of the snout. You probably do. I use a #15 wrench on that, however, all the other stuff on the mill is regular size wrenches. I never did figure out why that one hexnut was metric. take the nut off, and unscrew the screw out. if you can't get the screw out, use another nut to jam onto that nut, 5/16 regular thread) then unscrew the screw out. You must do this. If nothing else, getting it half out works. The brakedrum gets in the way sometimes. Reach through the hub and take out the 2 bolts that hold on the "front plate" that has the oil seal in it. IF....IF..you are lucky, the whole shaft and the remaining shaft accesories will come out the front. You MAY need to use another cheap trick to get things apart if it won't come out.
windybob

Post by windybob »

And here is the trick. Put the nut on the front of the shaft, (put a big washer on first) and put a chain around the shaft, making sure it won't come off, and the chain will pull straight. Put another chain on the back of the case, using the tailpin holes to fasten the chain to. Yep, you guessed it. Put on chain around something like a tree etc, and the other around your hitch. Put it in drive, and the shaft will easily come out. There are reasons for this method. Maybe get into that later. NOW you can dis assemble all the items on the mainshaft. You need to make SURE that the end gear is off the shaft before doing this and the setscrew is out of the underside of the snout, and both bolts are out of the front plate. If you break the case (you won't, but I like to make you nervous) I will give you another. lol
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

:roll: Windy , now I understand why the rear bumper of your trucks like it does , It's just another tool !
Yes , we all have a favorite oak tree we use to pull on & lift on & lean on & drink under and ........
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
windybob

Post by windybob »

Gotta love a Dempster.
windybob

Post by windybob »

It won't pull very hard. Just need more pull to overcome the old spring inside. Can't do it by hand, and I never made a puller.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Larry I sent you a private message.
fiegland

Post by fiegland »

Well, no dice. I got the set screw out, rear gear off, and un-bolted the front plate. I don't have access to any good Oak trees. So, I tried pulling the main shaft out with my tractor and F150. If you are interested, who wins, John Deere or F150 with a windmill case between the two, ... F150. The truck pulled the tractor backwards. I had my wife driving the tractor and I in the F150. The shaft pulled out about two inches, you can see the seals in one of the pics (Pic taken under tension), but sprung back as soon as we released the tension. At least nothing broke! I would guess, now I need to be a little more coercive. Maybe heating something with a torch. Anyone have any other suggestions? I am going to try drilling out the key to try to get the hub off. This might give me better access to the seals.
Thanks,
Larry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fiegland

Post by fiegland »

One of the cool things about this project is that my son is really interested and has been helping me every step of the way! He is standing off to the side in one of the pics.