Aermotor ?

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
Wayne

Aermotor ?

Post by Wayne »

IMG_20190322_141900266_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190322_141818924_HDR.jpg
This looks to me like what left of an Aermotor tower looking at how the top goes together. Looking at the steps there not the loops. When did Aermotor use those type steps if it's an Aermotor? I'm interested because my GGPa used to own the place. I'm wonderinf id the wind mill could have been from his time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Aermotor ?

Post by windybob »

Yep. Aermotor had peg steps way back early. Not saying it is, need a closer look.

If it were in Oklahoma, it might say "Indian Territory" on the tower. Or "O.T." on it.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thanks Windy1 My GGPA bought 100 acres where it sets in Dec 1900 was there until about 1908. I'd like to get whats left but can't find out how to contact owner who I've been told is a rich lady from New York. Somebody leases the place haven't found him either.
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

Yep. It is Aermotor.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

So my 1901 Aermotor catalog has loop rung steps so this is prior to that. The very earliest steps were clamp on so this is between the clamp on and the loop rung. Need to have a better pic but it looks like the lower X brace is not what one would look like for a peg leg Aer tower. You should see 20' and 10' tower sections for a peg leg tower too.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thanks everybody. I may go back out there today and climb the fence and get better pictures. The trail down to the tower off the main road is pretty much like it might have been in 1900 a wagon trail. One lane, grass growing across the road. Plus the turn around is kinda soft and I don't have a 4 wheel drive. Somebody did a number on it taking it apart.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

IMG_4114.JPG
IMG_4117.JPG
IMG_4118.JPG
Ok everybody I went back out Sunday. Here are more pictures. I'm 99% sure it's Aermotor. It has the screwdriver flat blade head bolts not square headed. The bottom cross piece has the flattened end like Aermotor. The first picture is the road going up to the tree where tower is.I'm going to send email to the managers of the ranch and see what responce I get.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Wndy the only writing I saw was JW. D. & Son Corsicana Tex. Hand painted.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Wayne
It is definitely an early original open gear before their standard build up tower.

Some notes:
Probably 30' with 10' bottom and 20' top.
Before build up tower as girts are above the tower angle lap.
Key hole slot girts
Lower X braces are full length and have rolled ends each end
Turned half of X backwards for the overlap -have seen where both Xs were flattened at overlap and faced same
Guessing the pegs are 15" OC like the early loop rung before standard of 16.25"
Guess early to mid 1890s
Hand painted destination extended to the early build up towers

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
windybob

Post by windybob »

Didn't know they had peg steps like that. Was thinking of the 1 X 1 sheared angle iron steps. Wonder which was earlier?
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.