Dempster Identification?

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
ShortTail

Dempster Identification?

Post by ShortTail »

The only part I have of our Dempster is the ShortTailed horse with the 58 cast on the side, I see some that show 58C, it is hard to tell if there could have been a C on this horse. Maybe that helps to date it? I'll attach some photos from the 1943 era when the windmill was still complete. Photos from 1951 show that the mill was missing then. The fans on this mill have 13 slats, I see some photos online and can count 12, 13, or 14 slats with 13 as the most common. Do the number of slats identify if it was a 10 or 12 foot? Can it be determined if it is a #3, #4, or #14 from these photos?
1 Windmill with horse.jpg
2 Windmill Fan 1943.jpg
3 Windmill with Tower.jpg
4A ShortTail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Challenge 27

Re: Dempster Identification?

Post by Challenge 27 »

The six section wheel was used for the 10 foot size. 12 footers used an 8 section wheel.

After looking at the photos, I'm thinking its more likely a #3.

Getting a #3, restored or otherwise, shouldn't be too much of a problem, they were a common windmill at one time. Probably could get one at the Trade Fair in Poteet in September.

Challenge 27
rockingjl

Post by rockingjl »

Check with Dan Benjamin for parts including a wood kit.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Dempster #1 and #2 mills had long tailed horses. Dempster #3, #4 and #14 had short tailed horses. So says the bible.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
ShortTail

Post by ShortTail »

I have another question about this old windmill tower. Can you determine how tall it is from the pictures? It was taken down in my teenage years, I remember climbing it. But I would be guessing how tall it was.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Neat photos. Welcome to the forum.

Counting the ladder steps between each cross girt, there appears to be about 3 ladder steps between each. Guesstimate at 18” between each ladder step, would put it about 30’ +/-. I could be way off…

Other old towers that I have or I’ve seen are typically in 10 foot increments.
Minnemiller

Post by Minnemiller »

I read your other post before this one. Definitely a 10ft Dempster no. 3. It is a 10ft since it has 6 sections. The good news is it's the most easily found of the Dempster vaneless mills so you should be able to buy one. That doesn't mean they are very common but a collector may have a spare one they would part with.