New project dempster 12

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Smax

New project dempster 12

Post by Smax »

Started a new project. I was able to locate my wife's grandfather's dempster 12a that was sold in an auction approx 20 years ago. Unfortunately the mill suffered major damage when the mast pipe wore thru at the top of the tower causing the windmill head to fall breaking the snoot and damaging the wheel. Grezmonki is fixing me up with a good case. All I have to do is rebuild the motor(gearbox ) and wheel. Lol
IMG_20190328_184119.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JBarker

Re: New project dempster 12

Post by JBarker »

dang, now you got me curious on how you tracked it down after 20 years. lol

Jerry
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Smax

Post by Smax »

Went in the community where it was sold and asked a lot of questions. Then drove around until it was located . Mostly a lot of luck as the auction buyer had passed on but was able to locate the wife. And it helped to know the last name of the buyer
Smax

Post by Smax »

Going to be bugging the hel l out of y'all about how to take this thing apart a new experience to me. Grezmonke (prairie legend windmills) fixed me up with a correct motor case and tail. Thanks michael
Smax

Post by Smax »

And turned out not to be a 12a but a model 12 someone had painted 12a on the tail.
Dave Straub

Post by Dave Straub »

Yup.. The 8' No 12 has a 1-1/2" mast pipe and the 8' 12A has a 2"
Smax

Post by Smax »

Hope to have gearbox (motor) back together soon waiting on new bearings then will start fabricating new sails etc
hoosiertom

Post by hoosiertom »

Are the correct Timken #s 1931 for the cup and 1985 for the cone? I have an acquaintance who outbid me at an auction last year on either a 12 or 12a. I can't remember. Turns out, he and one other guy were willing to spend double what I was. Wheel and vane were in fantastic shape, snout was pretty worn. We talked windmills for 3 hours waiting for it to come up for bids. He texted me last night asking where to find bearings. I can make it easy for him if I have the right numbers.
Hoosiertom
Martinsville, Indiana
arthurwoodworks.com
Dave Straub

Post by Dave Straub »

Yes, the bearings for the 8' #12 and 12A are cup 1931 and cone 1985. I get mine from Baum Hydraulics, Omaha and if they are out of stock they will drop ship from Timken in Tennessee.