Is windmill-parts.com the only substantial on-line seller of reproduced documents?

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
DennisT

Is windmill-parts.com the only substantial on-line seller of reproduced documents?

Post by DennisT »

I'm looking around to find documentation for my newly acquired Fairbanks-Morse Model 45 windmill and what is looking to be it's companion tower. I'd like to find exploded diagrams of the head, service info, etc. Maybe tower assembly instructions. Sometimes I think I see two on-line sellers of old documentation and reproduced copies. One is windmill-parts.com which sells used parts, re-cast/reproduced metal castings, and copies of documents and I think most of us are aware of them as they are pretty high profile. A lot of stuff there. Their website does offer a nice random selection of some parts lists, photos of restored mills, etc. Their site is helpful occasionally. At other times it looks like there is another seller who sells similar things. Now I can't find that second source, (if it really existed), or any other except what turns up here and there on ebay. I have had one experience with windmill-parts.com.

Am I missing something?
Thanks, Dennis
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Is windmill-parts.com the only substantial on-line seller of reproduced documents?

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I had one experience with windmill parts.com and it will be my last !!!
Wayne

Re: Is windmill-parts.com the only substantial on-line seller of reproduced documents?

Post by Wayne »

It seem he kinda hits and misses with people. I bought some literature about the Freeman Steel and was pleased. Also bought a 3 legged Dempster top casting and bearing races from him. Others like Dan have had issues. The only other place I'd think to look would be the Literature Forum on this site.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

There are folks on this forum that have collected a lot of literature. Perhaps someone will share what they have.
PaulV
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Thank you. It confirms what I've been hearing. My experience was not good. I only bought about 4 sheets of copied documents. I left them a 5-star rating, complimented them on doing a great service for the windmill fraternity, but apparently made the fatal mistake of commenting that copies were expensive per sheet. Then I received the most nasty email I've ever gotten telling me I had no concept of how much money they've invested in buying original documents to share and that I was now blocked from ever buying from them again. I have always known original documents are often expensive and I understand their price per copy helps offset that expenditure. But to blow a fuse over an honest and accurate comment is out of line for good business, "bedside manners."
Furthermore, In spite of my experience, I will still say that they serve a good purpose for us all. Believe it or not, I'm still glad they are there for others that need help. But it might best that potential buyers understand their behavior patterns before ordering, and especially before they give feedback or reviews.
NOW, my present challenge, (thanks to, "them"), is how to gather documentation for my Fairbanks Morse Model 45, (apparently very similar to a Woodmanse 45), so that I can properly disassemble it and give it proper care. Windmill.com seems to have a, "service," document for mine and a couple other desirable items but I doubt an ebay order will make through. The mill I just brought home has had little or even NO use, but mice have been in the main case and the shaft/hub will not turn. So I hope I can save it. Thread for this is over on the tech. forum.
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Dennis,
I had the same experience. I'm proud to be on his unapproved customer list.

Regards,
Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Honestly he should be at the top of his " Blackball" list.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

DennisT wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2023 12:37 pm NOW, my present challenge, (thanks to, "them"), is how to gather documentation for my Fairbanks Morse Model 45, (apparently very similar to a Woodmanse 45), so that I can properly disassemble it and give it proper care.
Perhaps a forum member will have what you need and is willing to share... and maybe even permit adding it to the documentation section.
PaulV