Parish

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
windybob

Re: Parish

Post by windybob »

Thanks. Appreciated.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
RPinAZ

Post by RPinAZ »

Great job. Thanks for sharing.

-RP
63markB

Post by 63markB »

Michael that looks so good. Such a great job!
Slim

Post by Slim »

Excellent work & great pics!!! The Parish is an interesting mill with some outside the box design. I wonder when I see them if Parish would have come up with a halfway cover of sorts for the back would the sprockets & chain had an easier life with a little rain break or dust shield.
When the 🐍 starts talking it’s time to quit listening!
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Slim,

Thank you.

I’ve wondered the same. I sort of feel that even a narrow profile cover that covered or partially covered the sprockets and chain might alter the minor dominance (wind flow) of the smaller side vane, when the larger primary vane is turned off (i.e. horizontal). The cost to make a cover might had been a factor…I’m unsure. One thing I feel fairly confident on, is a cover of such concept would have had a tendency to fill with wasps in my parts of Texas. Of course the vibrations from a constantly running windmill might deter wasps. :D

To Parish’s defense, the chain and small sprocket are pretty cheap to replace as they are common. The bearings for the main shaft and large sprocket are the expensive parts, depending on where you purchase them. Greasing 3 of the 4 main bearings is easy to somewhat easy. But one is a pain…the one by the front hub/brake is the difficult one.

I’ve only seen one other Parish in the wild in person and several others in the wild via photos. None still had the smaller side vane affixed. It makes me think they either were lost or the owner decided to remove the smaller side vane. All still had the mounting bracket for the side vane. Mine too didn’t come with a side vane, but had the mounting bracket for it. Dan B made my side vane. Have the ones you seen possess or lack the small side vane?
Thanks
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Here are a few photos of the Parish in Lubbock that I took in August. I took these mainly focusing on the braking system as that was what concerned me the most at that point in my rebuild. It is obviously a later produced Parish with a dual brake and no pillow block bearings. I got a headache looking at the dual braking system and was thankful mine had the single brake.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

A few more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Michael , thank you for the photos , a picture is worth a thousand words .
Slim

Post by Slim »

CTX,

I can’t say for sure the only one I ever saw was in pieces and I didn’t know what I was looking at at the time. I’ve got a parts list somewhere I think I can look at that if I can find it.
When the 🐍 starts talking it’s time to quit listening!