Newbie Windmill Roadtrip

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Mike69583

Newbie Windmill Roadtrip

Post by Mike69583 »

Hey all!

I've recently got into the whole windmill hobby and am planning a 5 day road trip in and around the TX Panhandle to see and learn more.

A little bit about myself, my hobby and passion has typically been old bridges, especially the old covered ones. Having such a hobby tends to take one well off the beaten path, just like many of you.

Long story short, I completed a 12 day road trip around Kansas last summer, and fell in love with both the scenery and history of the great plains.

This coming July, I have 5 days to spare. I'll be flying out from Baltimore into Lubbock, TX and some of the highlights I have on my windmill itinerary include the windmills up in Spearman, Shattuck Windmill Museum in OK, American Windmill Museum in Lubbock, in addition to the Aeromotor factory in San Angelo (yes I know I can't physically tour the factory). Of course on the way, there are a number of bridges I want to check out in addition to a few historical sites, including Adobe Walls. Is there any other place in or near the Panhandle you can recommend to explore?
Last edited by Mike69583 on Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mike69583

Re: Newbie Windmill Roadtrip

Post by Mike69583 »

As a side, the wind farm outside of Sweetwater seems interesting as well.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Welcome to the forum Michael, here in NY we have a covered bridge that is the oldest bridge in the U.S. and the longest covered bridge in the world. I love old Bridges too.
Mike69583

Post by Mike69583 »

Hi Windcatcher530 Dan, a pleasure to meet you as well. And yes, I've seen Hyde Hall outside of Cooperstown in addition to a bunch over in Washington County.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Have you been to the one in Blenheim it's the longest one.
Gregg

Post by Gregg »

And there are the Bridges of Madison County Iowa. Also one between Gladstone and Oquawka Illinois.
Gregg
Mike69583

Post by Mike69583 »

Yes, I have been to Blenheim. Certainly, a bunch up in New England, especially in and around Vermont.

Hi Gregg - I have visited the Madison County bridges, including one in Polk County. I know there are 2 or 3 in Iowa that I'm still missing.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

When you go to Lubbock you will want to visit the Ranch Heritage Center, and the Fiber Center. The Fiber Center is close the the Wind power Center. The Heritage Center is full of old buildings and some windmills. I'm making a trip that way, will be leaving April 24th. You might want to think about Dalhart in the panhandle. Has the XIT Ranch Museum.
Mike69583

Post by Mike69583 »

Thanks Wayne!

Just added the Fiber Center on my 'to go' list.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I don't think you will be sorry.