New here from Southern Ohio

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
Hoss1675

New here from Southern Ohio

Post by Hoss1675 »

New to this and wondering if you can tell me what I have and what I am missing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Re: New here from Southern Ohio

Post by mtblah »

appears to be a brand new wind generator , do you have the prop ?
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Welcome to the forum. Windcharger Mike will be able to help you he's the guru.
Wind Charger Mike

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

I don’t see the prop, stub tower or controller. All things I probably have. It does appear to be NOS so I’m hoping you make it a display piece. It’s not a particularly rare model but it is rare to find one so nice. It dates to about 1939. My contact info is in my profile if I can help you locate the missing parts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hoss1675

Post by Hoss1675 »

mtblah wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:12 am appears to be a brand new wind generator , do you have the prop ?
I do not but would like to find one or two or someone to make one or maybe find a cnc file.
Hoss1675

Post by Hoss1675 »

Wind Charger Mike wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:53 am I don’t see the prop, stub tower or controller. All things I probably have. It does appear to be NOS so I’m hoping you make it a display piece. It’s not a particularly rare model but it is rare to find one so nice. It dates to about 1939. My contact info is in my profile if I can help you locate the missing parts.
You are correct in me not having the prop or controller however I do have the stub tower.
I hy the discrepancy as to the difference in voltage as the tail says 110 versus you telling me 32 volts?
What type of batteries would I need to buy to run led lights in and around a chicken coop?
I know very little about dc and generators period.
Hoss1675

Post by Hoss1675 »

mtblah wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:12 am appears to be a brand new wind generator , do you have the prop ?
I do not have the prop or controller but do have the stub tower.
Wind Charger Mike

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

The 32v version looks very similar to the 110v and it was the only brochure I have. Thought it might be useful. Your 85 yr old machine was designed to charge 55, 2v glass jar, lead acid batteries connected in series. I’m not familiar with a modern battery equivalent or controllers so I wouldn’t attempt to advise you on it. I would say that given the lethality of 110v dc, you might consider a lower voltage machine.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Midnite Solar has MPPT controllers that handle wind or solar inputs in 3 models - 150, 200 and 250 VDC rated open circuit input and nominal battery voltage output field selectable of 12, 24, and 48 VDC. Mike, I am guessing the Voc of 110 wind prop would be under 200 Voc? Even if you set a Midnite 200 on 12VDC nominal, it would handle the potential 80A at full wind rating on the output. When you have stored 12VDC nominal power, you could use any 12V nominal lighting without the cost of an added inverter to make 120VAC. Midnite controllers arent cheap so you will value those free range organic eggs even more...

Ditto on not working with high voltage DC. I remember the first time in wiring up a high voltage 600 VDC solar controller with multiple parallel strings. In the old days, you could touch the solar leads + and - together to verify circuits on the home runs. Let us just say you have no trouble seeing a 600 VDC circuit when shorted...

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO