Kevin's b602 project

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Kevinwterry

Re: Kevin's b602 project

Post by Kevinwterry »

So I've got some 7/16" rod. I checked and 1/2" wont work. So I've taken a piece of plywood and drew out the spoke as per the measurements ctxmiller provided. I verified the measurements on my hub and should work fine. And then also looking at a picture I found on how to install the spokes it looks like the span between the 2 tips is about 47". I think the easiest and fastest way of threading and creating the shoulder at the tip ends would just be to weld on a 7/16" x 1 1/2 bolt to the end. Any reason why I shouldn't?
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

I don’t see a reason why that wouldn’t work. I do that often by welding in rod stock in worn out pump rod areas or a bolt for new threading, but haven’t needed to on a spoke thread (yet). Others can provide their opinions.
Kevinwterry

Post by Kevinwterry »

Well still trying to gather all the info i can before I really start to work on this thing. I've got a shutdown to work at one of the local refinery's so I'll be working 6-7 12 hour days a week for the next month so I wont have much time mess with this project. Also its spring here in northwest washington, and I've got a ton of other things that need my attention.

So I've at least bent the furl rod straight( I think that's what it is). Now I have a better idea on how the brake system works.

I need the lower tower mount to come off. Its soaking in kroil oil but I doubt it will unthread from the main stand pipe (once again I'm sure that part has a name because I'm sure I've seen it somewhere). I'm sure ill have to cut the pipe and reweld a new section on.

As for the tower build I just need dimensions so I'm not creating something that isnt proportionate to what ive seen in pictures. I like the look of the 10ft fan on a 33ft tower.I've priced new material at a couple of my local steel suppliers and using 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 x 3/16" angle for the legs and 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 x 1/8" angle iron for all the braces will be around $800. On another post guys were saying they wouldn't build a tower from scratch. I see the tower being an easy build, but I plan on welding everything together. I can see how it would be a pain in the you know what to drill and bolt it all together. My next question is why havent I seen anything about a welded tower? Sure you'd have to cut it apart to move it but other than that I don't see any reason.

Others have mentioned buying a stub tower and then fabricate a tower off of that. That would work, except they are $200 for 4- 3ft peices of angle with some holes drilled in them.

Other question is why 33ft? Where does that measurement come from? I'll try to build this as close as a can, but itll be for sure a one off custom build.

Once again this project is in the early works, the learning stages. Any information is greatly appreciated before I start really getting into it. Just like today I realized that the lower mounting bracket has to come off otherwise when I weld out the tower I wont be able to drop in the motor. I can see why the stub tower has its place.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

If you're good at fabrication you can make your own stub tower. I took and made a pattern off a Aermoter tower for the top where it fits together and my brother notched it out and it worked. Also if you don't want the tower that tall you can build a shorter ranch style tower or some call it widespread.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Kevin , the answer to your question is wind & water ...... access to a constant wind & how deep a well to reach good water ,
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Kevin,

Windcatcher530 Dan posted a chart in the D702 thread of the Aermotor spreads. It matched my Aermotor B 33’ spread at right at 82.75”.

I see more welded towers in the Texas panhandle and Permian Basin areas and it could be because of all the left over oil field pipe. They are hell for heavy and stout too. I have one and it is too heavy for my needs. It is fairly uncommon to see a welded angle iron tower in my parts of Texas.
windybob

Post by windybob »

here in north central Oklahoma also.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Justineckel

Post by Justineckel »

If you need V rods or braces I make them new. 10' ones are super hard to find so I started making them. They are hot dipped galvanized.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Sounds like a listing for the "looking for parts" section?
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.