20’ Samson Model S

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Overkill

Re: 20’ Samson Model S

Post by Overkill »

Great info and thanks for your help. Yes I only need one per tension cable. I have 32 tension cables. I need 5 clamps and 12 Eccentric washers. Also if you do have some I would like to drive to “Austin” to meet you.
Thanks,
Jake

20ft Samson
windybob

Post by windybob »

Yes and no....lol I will check in the morn about the hardware. I'd like to have at least a tiny bit of skin in this game. And no, Austin won't work for me. Just too far, last time I was there it took like 14 hours to drive, but was worth every mile when I stayed at my date's house (ahem) for a few days until the drive home.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Oh sorry I must be thinking of another person that lives in Austin.
Thanks,
Jake

20ft Samson
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Overkill wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:37 am Hello all,

We were able to disassemble and haul the windmill and tower in one long day.
Jake, I'm amazed that you were able to get that beast and tower disassembled and loaded in a single day! Quite a task.
PaulV
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Overkill wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:36 pm Thanks Jerry! great pictures the fans look different than mine. your pictures show 5 blades per section and mine has 3 blades per section? Its defiantly a Samson but i wander why the difference.
I have the fan from an 18' Samson. Looks identical to Jerry's pics. The blades are rectangle just like the blades on a Samson Air Flow. The blades on Jake's fan are tapered. The Air Flow was produced right before the company went out of business. Perhaps they changed to the rectangle blade on the model S a few years before closing the doors?
PaulV
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Yes it was a heck of a task for 2 people. And that’s interesting Paul I would have thought it was older by how it looks but I see what you mean with the air flows.
Thanks,
Jake

20ft Samson
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

17-Sep Update: I was told that my tower wasn't a Stover product as Stover never used the rods that are on my tower. I don't really believe him. Paul you have seen my tower in person what do you think?
Thanks,
Jake

20ft Samson
windybob

Post by windybob »

The stover towers i have seen, have the twisted wire X braces. I will go back and look close at the pictures of yours.

In the meantime, buckle up, here goes the new information I found. In 1940, Stover came out with a 12 page booklet on servicing and working on the Model S Samson 14 ft through 22 foot mills. So there ya go, they did make them, but I can find no listing of when they came out. IF .. they did come out in 1940, then being as the war started in 1941, and the plant changed over to war production.....then after the war sold out to other companies, and the windmill part sold to Woodmanse....THEN...the 22 foot mill would be extremely rare, maybe one step above the 18 foot Aermotor. And that's pretty darn rare! Given all that, It would be nice to view the booklet to see if there is a picture of the monster. Maybe.....just maybe....The picture of the big Samson, seemingly with all the extra sails was a 22 footer? That would explain the difference in the wheel possibly.

On another note, here is what I have Jake. The may be off a Dempster tower, Dempster made two styles of these, these are the slightly smaller eccentrics. They should be the same size, or close enough to work for you. I have more of these than Stovers, but I do toss them all in the same box.

As for the clamp, I have 2 sizes, one is probably too small, it is below the #1 on the ruler. The other is maybe too large, I don't know if either will work. Seems I need one in the middle of the 2 sizes, but no can do from me.

tower parts 2.jpeg
tower parts 1.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

After close inspection, the pictures Jerry posted have a tower that is just like the Stover towers i run into here, only a lot larger.

Jake I think it's possible, that your tower may not be a Stover. I'm not positive, but there are enough differences that makes me doubt being a true Stover. What really bugs me, is that there are a few things in common with a Stover tower. If I were a gambling man, ( which I am because I get out of bed in the morning) I would bet against it being Stover.
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Thanks for all the information!! I’m not that disappointed if the tower isn’t a Stover as it will still look good with the mill. The tower has Illinois steel Enbossed in the tower steel. Any idea where I could get ahold of one of those service manuals? Also the larger clamps look exactly what I need! I’ll PM you my phone number.
Thanks,
Jake

20ft Samson