Aermotor tower build

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
JBarker

Aermotor tower build

Post by JBarker »

I had my first experience last night putting together a new Aermotor 33 ft tower (2x2) right out of the box. Since I am new and still learning I have never built a new tower yet, I mainly restore older ones. I didnt realize Aermotor had changed some of the x brace design and I got alittle confused and had to reach out for some expert advice from Kevin Moore. Thanks for walking me through it last nite. The bottom x braces are not the usual angle braces I'm used to seeing. The top bottom x brace is a flat steel brace that then connects with a straight angle brace. There are five different horizontal girts and the tower instructions book for a 33 ft tower just showed 3 or 4 girts. None of the Aermotor books or literature that I have shows the design change. Anyways, another lesson learned in the world of windmills.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Bryon

Re: Aermotor tower build

Post by Bryon »

I know this is a little late, but, it is easier to build the first section face down and build the rest up from there. Actually, the first thing you should assemble is the stub tower with the mast pipe installed. Then the rest of the tower from there. Makes everything line up better in the end. Don't tighten all the nuts until you have all the bolts in the holes in which they go. Good luck.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

thanks bryon
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

33s are the nicest tower to work with. You can leave the 7' stub/mast together and the 27' splits nicely in halves to haul and isnt too wide. Awhile back I had a lot of 7' stubs and got 20' angle hot dipped to make 27' towers. We made the lower X braces one full length angle with only having to take out a nibble on the one angle where the X was. It looked more original than the new style. In 20 years, I have yet to sell a new tower other than wood, there are so many out there.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
windybob

Post by windybob »

Jerry, always remember, just about the time you think you know enough to accomplish something, you get thrown a curveball. It's like 'practicing' doctoring.. we are always 'practicing' windmilling. lol
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Thanks guys, it had a missing 14 ft section for the ladder steps in the crate. Someone forgot to pack two 14 ft sections for the ladder.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864