20’ Samson Model S

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Overkill

Re: 20’ Samson Model S

Post by Overkill »

Windybob after your comment about the 22’ Samson I looked back on the pictures and I think your right! So assuming that both our ladders are the same that windmill will stand 4’ higher than mine. Also if you look at my lower work platforms location in relation to the angle change for the special spread his platform sits lower all pointing that Jerry’s windmill pictures are of a windmill larger than mine!
Last edited by Overkill on Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,
Jake

20ft Samson
windybob

Post by windybob »

Okay,I will holler at you tomorrow. Thanks.

Oh..that booklet is not published, but let me see where it is located.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

If you had a real good reference in Jerry's picture, you might could take a pixel measurement. However the height may prevent accuracy. Guys, don't make fun of me.....Used to be that a pixel measurement was high-tech. Like I said, I don't get out much these days.. lol
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Lol no problem I called Jerry and he is excited so he’s is going to go back over there and might measure it.
Thanks,
Jake

20ft Samson
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Overkill wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:17 pm 17-Sep Update: I was told that my tower wasn't a Stover product as Stover never used the rods that are on my tower. I don't really believe him. Paul you have seen my tower in person what do you think?
I have to say, I really didn't study the tower as much as I did the windmill head. I had no reason to doubt that it was a Stover tower, and still don't. When you get to the size of mill you have...weight, wind forces, etc.... Stover may have decided that twisted wire wouldn't cut it, or would be too unwieldy to manage. Your tower has 3/8" tension rods that are bent 90 degrees at the ends and threaded. I didn't notice this until I studied the attached pics. It looks like the eccentrics were used to tension the rods at the 90 degree threaded end. Tighten the nut on the end of the rod, lock the eccentric in place. Interesting way of doing it. Kinda Stoverish. Your ladder looks like the ladder on my tiny stover tower.
20190727_135205.jpg
20190727_135146.jpg
20190727_135137.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulV
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Yes sir the ladder and tower layout looks a lot like other Stovers but it does have its differences. Another one is the stover towers I have found have overlapping corner Angle iron were the corner angle iron on mine are butted together then bolted with 4 plates sandwiching the angle. But these changes might just be a 20’ thing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Thanks,
Jake

20ft Samson
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Update on the pics I sent thinking I found A 20ft Samson in Boerne, Tx. It's actually a 16ft Samson according to the tower legs and the stencil on the wheel spokes
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Overkill

Post by Overkill »

Hey guys if all goes well I’ll start on the head this week here is a picture of me next to the tail.
Thanks,
Jake

20ft Samson
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

That's awesome Jake!
PaulV
windybob

Post by windybob »

Wow. That's just way too big.