ID brand from tower cam?

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
kozzy

ID brand from tower cam?

Post by kozzy »

I don't even know if this one possible and I'm obviously no expert on windmills here--

Friend had a downed windmill when he moved into his place 40+ years ago. Head was already gone and he disassembled the tower to get it out of the way. Now that he's an old geezer looking into history of his place, he was wondering what type of windmill it might have been. All he has that might give some ID clue is the cross wire tensioner cams from the tower as shown in the photo.

Just curious if they point to any specific brand that I can tell him or if they are too generic or tower specific to go with a windmill brand.

Thanks for any help or insight.

Note that the lines on the photo are 1/4" apart.
Tower Cam.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: ID brand from tower cam?

Post by windybob »

From one old geezer to another old geezer.... Either Stover or Dempster. Putting my money on Stover.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

I went and looked at the two towers I possess that have those after Kozzy posted the photo and those two were: Dempster and Stover. Both looked very similar, if not identical. However the Stover had some faint markings (part #) on the reverse and I failed to see any markings on the Dempster. Thereby, I’d agree with the old geezer(s)...Stover or Dempster. :lol:
JLM

Post by JLM »

Most dempsters did use a wood board for the bottom girt usually all that is left is a little strap bolted to the tower leg
Dave Straub

Post by Dave Straub »

These appear to be Dempster. After taking apart 50 some towers and saving parts and scraping the junk we have 4 different sizes of Cam washers from different makes of towers,
kozzy

Post by kozzy »

Thanks, All. I'll pass the info on.

There is no casting number on the back as mentioned by CTX so I'll assume it's not the stover version for now.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I really don't know if I've ever seen a number on any of them.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Took a photo or three of the Stover cam with the most pronounced casting #. The others were more faint. I’ll adjust my opinion to the Dempster category upon a second viewing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Maybe I better look closer. There really are numbers!
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

I vote for dempster. They were not real consistent about having parts numbers .
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418