What is your thoughts on this pic?

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

What is your thoughts on this pic?

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

This is in South Central Kansas, not sure of the date but I would say around 1900. I am pretty sure I know what the mill is but wanted to see what you guys thought. The thing that puzzled me was, the tower color and the blade color look the same so I assume they are white and the blade is painted instead of galvanized? Also, those blades have some bold tips on them! Anyway, thought it was a neat pic with the little grain elevator and all and thought you folks would enjoy it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Re: What is your thoughts on this pic?

Post by Wayne »

Great Picture. White paint must have been cheap that day. Looks like a Woodmanse to me.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

That is what I am thinking also, I know Aermotor painted their blades before galvanizing so I am assuming Woodmanse did the same? Anyone know a time line for that? The town was founded in 1887, I thought this photo was about 1900 but that is just a guess?
Kansas Rust Buzzard

That is what I am thinking also, I know Aermotor painted their blades before galvanizing so I am assuming Woodmanse did the same? Anyone know a time line for that? I wish I knew what model that was, I got several open gear Woodmanses and if I knew one of them were sold with white painted metal I would make a new wheel like that. Of all the mills I have taken down, Woodmanse seems to have the poorest survival rate for wheels, I have never taken down a perfect one yet.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I vote Woodmanse. Paint or no paint. The tail is the giveaway. It also turns CCW.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
steve p

Post by steve p »

Love the picture.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I was in Western Ok buying a tractor tire the guy I was buying it from saw the DEmpster I had on my flat bed. Asked me if I wanted another windmill. It was laying in the ditch where it had fallen some many years before. It was a 6 ft Woodmanse steel. It is up and spinning with original wheel and vane. The blades have a crinkel or two
but other than that it is fine.