New from Central New York

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
Miacovissi

New from Central New York

Post by Miacovissi »

My boyfriend and I got a Heller Aller model 6 from his neices farm in Maryland to put up at our farm. Spent a lot of time straightening out the 35foot tower, had some sails remade, got it standing and tethered down to our loader while we dug the footings and poured concrete. Last night while we were raking the last of the dirt around the footers a strong wind picked up our mill and it crashed to the ground right between us. Now we need to replace the entire sail wheel and the shaft was bent when it landed. Thankfully no one was hurt. Does anyone know where we could get replacement parts? Or would a local machine shop be able to reproduce them?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Re: New from Central New York

Post by CTXmiller »

Welcome to the forum.

If you search “Dan Benjamin” on this message board for his contact information, he might either have what you need or can make it / fix it. He is out of South Dakota.

Sorry to see the damaged mill, but luckily no one was hurt.
Miacovissi

Post by Miacovissi »

Thanks so much for the information. I will look for him.
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

Dan is "windmillsareus" on this board.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to see this happen to your mill. Glad no one was injured. As CTXmiller mentioned, Dan Benjamin can probably help you with most of your parts. His username is 'Windmillsrus'.

If we can help you determine what parts need replacing, post more pics as you assess and disassemble. I want you to get this mill back up and flying.
PaulV
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Did you set down and cry a little bit after that happened? I would have.
hedgerow

Post by hedgerow »

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to see this happen. Glad no one was injured. Can always fix equipment people that's a whole different story.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

to Miacovissi,; you will be amazed at the vast knowledge & expertise to these fellow windmillers !!!
Miacovissi

Post by Miacovissi »

Thank you all for the information. We were able to get the tower all straightened out and the sail head disassembled and straightened. Not as damaged as we thought. Shaft is still bent a little bit trying to figure out how to get it apart without damaging it more.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Happy for you! We straighten wheels, rims, and sails regularly. All that stuff is workable. Might need to remove the mainshaft to get it straight. Also, remember that those sails on the older H/A mills will throw out, and off the wheel. MAinly because the clips lose the pinch effect on the sails. Might want to make ammends for that particular weakness.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.