identify windmill fan

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
cmarr6

identify windmill fan

Post by cmarr6 »

need help identifying fan. straight vanes, not tapered like usual and rounded at corners. never seen one like it? https://vintagewindmillforum.com/downlo ... ew&id=3896
A4E4035B-5E06-4F28-BEA5-45DBC0551505.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Re: identify windmill fan

Post by CTXmiller »

Flint & Walling Star 37
windybob

Post by windybob »

Correct. The first actual windmill wheel designed, tested, and patented in a wind tunnel. Came out in 1937, thus the name. Not really rare, but if it measures 7 ft across, a little more rare than the 8 footers.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
cmarr6

Post by cmarr6 »

this one is advertised as 8.5 ft. is it possible to mount this on a baker WB mill? it looks like it would fit. there are five spokes and the bolt on the same. there is only one bolt on the baker but two on this one. not a problem. dont know about the rotation though. something i never considered till someone on here mentioned it.is it possible?
cmarr6

Post by cmarr6 »

Here is a photo of the hub on my baker mill.
4AB8CFB3-B112-4FD2-BE6D-6F599D9C7458.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

The Baker Mfg'd mill of yours is a Monitor, model WC. The W is the model, the C is the size, which is 8 ft. A W(B) is the W model Monitor mill, and the B means 6 1/2 ft size. Monitor mills turn CCW. I believe Flint and Walling mills, or your Star 37 wheel turns CCW also.

A couple things to keep in mind...Monitor mills of this model have wheels that run close to the tower legs, due to the stubby snout of the mill. Also, the WC and all W model Monitor mills have a slant to the wheel when you look at them from the side. The slant is designed into the mainshaft of the mill, a 1 in 16 slant. This also help to keep the fan (wheel) from hitting the tower legs. If you mount the wheel on your head, if the wheel has a straight up and down appearance from the side, then your front bearing is shot in the head, and needs replaced. might be other things in the head worn out also.

If you have a sharp eye, you can see the slant in the hub when you set the mill upright without the wheel on it.
cmarr6

Post by cmarr6 »

Oh its a WC? I looked at the model before just couldn't remember if it was a C or a B. So that is the 8 foot model? The stub tower is with it so should be able to tell if it i going to hit the legs of the tower easily enough, huh? I also am planning on building my own wooden tower. Ever do that? I have worked over the mill pretty good. Trying to figure if there is any thing wrong with it. No play in the shaft and everything turns nice and smoothly. Don't know it that is sufficient to find problems, but that's all i can do right now. So, given everything we know, it should work, right? I have a chance to get this fan pretty reasonably priced, just want to make sure it will work first. Thanks
windybob

Post by windybob »

I guess it will work. Never swapped those wheels before. If the arms fit the Monitor hub, I suppose.

WB mills are all 4-section wheels. They are the 6 1/2 ft models. Wc, or 8 ft mills come either 5 or 6 section wheels, the 6- section being the older models.

I have made wooden towers, and others on here have made them also. If your stub tower is at least 4 ft tall, you should be ok. Bolt it to the outer side of the 4X4's. That way the wood doesn't hit the wheel.

Monitor wheels also have the bolt holes on the (brace) or bridge of the arms toward the inside, (or head side) of the brace. That usually throws the outer edge of the blades (sails) away from the tower legs a little. That's how close the wheel fits to the tower legs. I have seen Monitor 8 ft wheels flex 2 inches or more in a heavy wind. That Star 37 wheel may be more stout than a Monitor wheel, but still....make sure you have good clearance, and the wheel is tilted back at the top of it.

If you do all the above, and are still not sure of enough clearance, let me know. I have more tricks up my sleeve than a crooked gambler. (our secret)
cmarr6

Post by cmarr6 »

okay, thanks for all the advice, much appreciated. I’ve run into a couple of those crooked gamblers in my life!!! Your secret is safe!
cmarr6

Post by cmarr6 »

Been searching online for some decent tower plans. Can’t find any i really like. Have any resources for that sort of thing? Or point me in the right direction?